looking for a carry 357

Brando1992

I am selling my smith and wesson shield and I think I want to step up to a 357 revolver for carry. I typically carry a glock 19 so I figure if I am stepping down in round count might as well make it a bit more powerful.

So my two requests for it would be it doesn't have a barrel longer than 3 in and has adjustable or replaceable sights.

I have looked at a S&W model 60, a ruger sp101 and a ruger lcr... The model 60 is my favorite followed by the lcr. the sp101 had a less than pleasant trigger, the 60 felt incredible. I am hoping to keep cost down so a $800 performance center isn't gonna happen unfortunately. Am I missing any I should be looking at?

Thanks!

A model 60 with a 3" bbl is my daily carry piece. With good grips it's not unreasonable with 125's at 1200 fps. 158's are another story. Rod

A used 19-3 snubbie packing 6 rounds with a 2.5" barrel, unless you find a 3" Lew Horton special........ ;)

I carry a 66 with 2.5" barrel fairly regularly. I shoot 158s with no significant discomfort. I do carry a speed loader and I regularly practice reloading with it. I am not JM but I am pretty quick....but I have been practicing for years...

I really do like the Ruger .357 magnum LCR. I just won't fire 158 grain .357 magnum rounds out of it. A few 125 grain .357 magnum rounds is my limit at any one time.

Some folk have no problem with the heavier rounds. I do and won't shoot 'em.

I still like the gun.

Good luck.

There are Taurus-bashers who will disagree but I agree with SmokinTom. I like my 605. With a couple speed strips I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It's been dependable and I've carried it in rotation with a couple other guns for several years.

I haven't sold or traded my Shield 9, but I added a .357 LCR and it's pretty much become my EDC.

I have no problem with the 158gr .357 rounds, but I mostly shoot 158gr .38 Spcl at the range and a few .357 once in a while to remember how it will feel if I need to shoot it.

Love the trigger, but I only used the sights when I first bought it.

S&W Model 66 / or the older model 19's ....are both K frames ...and solid guns - and I shoot them a lot with 158 great JHP's....

You'll just have to shop local used gun shops or gun shows to find a good one in your budget...

And you should shoot and carry whatever you want....but I suggest you not rule out 4" guns ( I use same IWB holster for my K frame 2 1/2" and 4"..../ and I shoot the 4" guns better....and there really is very little difference in carrying them if you have a good belt & holster.

Last edited:
S&w model 60 Pro Series fits all your criteria (price, sights, caliber, barrel length) and they're beautiful to boot. Seems an easy choice to me.

I prefer to carry revolvers. I got an LCR a few months ago and it has totally spoiled me. It is so light and easy to carry that many of my other revolvers feel like bricks to me now.

One of my favorite all around carry guns, a 7-shot S&W 686 Plus with a 3" barrel. I put Ahrends boot grips on it to boost it's concealability. Carry it in a Milt Sparks Vera Max II. Very easy to carry, except those days when my lower back acts up (happens now and then), but that's what my S&W 642 is for :) .

I also carry a 2.5" 66 from time-to-time. Slightly easier to carry than the 686 since it is a little thinner and lighter.

I know you are looking for a .357, but there's always the .44 Mag :p . I carry this 3" 629 at times, particularly on hikes (need to get a good OWB holster for it sometime, hiking with it IWB does get old). I also put Ahrends boot grips on this one. Very easy to hide actually, though not the most comfortable to carry given its width and weight. Definitely doable though, just not every day.

I'm strictly a Ruger guy now and I didn't see anyone mention the GP100 3" 357 mag. With the right grips and a plethora of different sights you should have absolutely no problem shooting full bore 357 mags. I had my SP101 2.25" trigger worked on and as my main carry it's very comfortable. But in all honesty, I can't shoot 158gr. 357 mags. it bites a tad. 125 gr. or less 357's is fine and accuracy of both SP and GP are, for me, just perfect and I have old eyes. One last thing on my Rugers is that I carry always at least one or two speed loaders. It's a mind thing I think.

I had a Windicator 4" 357 and some Rossi's but I finally switched to Ruger. Your call on which feels best and try to rent them from your local GS range and with revolvers you usually get what you pay for so don't go too cheap. The GP is definately in your range.
Some guys like Chevys and some like Dodge or Ford. I think you get it.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm generally not a fan of .357 magnum in alloy snubs. Yes, it packs a lot of power in a small package. However, a significant amount of that power gets put into recoil, flash, and bang. Sure, it can be trained around and some people are more affected than others. I just avoid the problem altogether. The smallest/lightest .357 I'll use is the SP101. For the LCR, I highly recommend checking out .327 Federal Magnum. It gives you six shots instead of five. Those shots have power upwards of 9mm +p but only recoil like .38 +p.

I typically carry a glock 19 so I figure if I am stepping down in round count might as well make it a bit more powerful.

So my two requests for it would be it doesn't have a barrel longer than 3 in and has adjustable or replaceable sights.

I have looked at a S&W model 60

I guess I should tell you that by getting the shorter barrel the .357 in 3" and 9mm in 4" are going to have close to the same power level the .357 being only slightly more powerful in that case. That may be your intent, it was not clear from your post. It will not however be significantly more powerful unless you get the same barrel length or longer. For example a 125gr JHP will go at about 1257fps in the .357 and 1226fps in the 9mm with the longer barrel.

You will get a lot more muzzle flash and blast in the .357 as the powder that did not get burned in the barrel lights up in front of you. The .357 is a great round but really benefits from a longer barrel.

Back