Looking for a .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

volky

I would like to get a .45 soon. I`m leaning toward a Kimber but also like the Springfields.

I have heard a few bad things about Kimber, jams, and slow (a month or two) repair service.

I`m sure if I spend 1000 bucks I can get a gun that will shoot much better than me. Any recommendations from personal experience would be apperciated.

If you're willing to spend up to $1000.00, you might want to take a look at Wilson Combat as well. Some of his service grade pistols are within the price range you're looking at.

I've owned both a Wilson tuned Colt and Springfield Armory pistol over the years. Both were outstanding. Can't speak to the Kimber as I've never owned or fired one.

Mike

I don't own a KIMBER and probably never will but in my opinion the SPRINGFIELD 1911s are the best out of the box. I also own a WILSON combat, they are $$$. But I consider them to be the ROLLS ROYCE of the 1911 world. If you buy from the WILSON COMBAT factory ask for FRANK. I have dealt with him in the past and WILSONs truly does have the best customer service I have ever experienced. You will be satisfied as advertised!!! The beauty of buying a 1911 you can always upgrade. There are tons of great pistol smiths out there doing exceptional work on this timely classic. You can buy a SPRINGFIELD and always upgrade it through WILSONs or any other renowned pistol smith...
HAPPY HUNTING!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Go with the Kimber. I have owned four, put over 7000 rounds through them without a single jam. Have not yet met anyone who had problem with theirs. They are excellent, accurate, dependable guns and well worth the money.

what about Charles Daly?for around $300, I
heard some say well made gun, not soft metal,
I just don't like the big white Charles Daly
on the slide or I'd a bought one, Springfield
Armory is the only Forged 1911 in its price range, mil-spec.:]

Since someone jumped in with the HK USP expert I have too add my $00.02...

For the cost of that over priced "tupper-ware" gun you can get TWO SIG P220 .45ACPs, and they will shoot better!!! Check out forum topic by "hklover21" for more insight...

------------------
SURE SHOT

I own two Kimbers (A custom target and a compact)and have had no problems whatsoever. My shooting buddy owns one of the Springfield "Hi-Caps" and both of my Kimbers outshoot his piece.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I had a lot of problems with one of my Kimbers(Custom Target). Slide stop, mag.release, barrel bushing, loose slide and failures to feed. Kimber had my gun for two days. All of the problems were fixed with the exception of the slide stop. The slide will not lock back with McCormick mags. I replaced the Kimber stop with a Wilson and cured the problem. The main difference in Springfields and Kimbers that I have seen is the barrel to slide fit. Kimber does a much better job in this area than SA does. The slide lug actually contacts the barrel lug recess like it should.

Just purchased a Ruger P97. For the money (359.) it's hard if not impossible to beat. Do a search through Firing Line and see what owners are saying about this model. That's what sold me. Also see Guns Magazine 2000 Annual for an excellent review of this pistol.

I you don't mind a double action a Sig P220 is the top of the line in da/sa autos. But there price is expensive. For a good, reliable, and accurate the Ruger P97 can't be beat, either can the price. The HK usp is also a fine gun except for the .40 compact model. I had nothing but problems with the one I owned.

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

Another plug for the P220.

Great feel, simple to use, and just about as accurate as many "target" 1911's that cost much more. Talk about reliable, mine has NEVER jammed (+/- 7,500 rnds). My 3 friends who own P220's also have never had a jam. 2 of these guys bought there's after shooting mine. I'm tellin ya, I Love this Gun!

If you prefer double action, I suggest the Sig Sauer P-220. On the other hand, if you are comfortable with single action, I recommend full size (1911A1) Kimber custom/classic in stainless. Either choice is outstanding: accurate, durable, reliable, and superior quality. Both are available in the ~$600 range.

The only problem I have with the whole SIG VS 1911 debate is that for the same round count (8) the 1911 is much easier to conceal. Plus it has the same trigger pull all the time as opposed to a DA/SA pull of the SIG. Granted it seems that all 1911's need a little tuning prior to carry, and the SIG doesn't. I just happen to prefer a 1911 style pistol. Gator

TO: SWAMPGATOR

We park are cars in the same garage...
Though I LOVE my SIG P220...
I am a 1911 man through and through...

------------------
SURE SHOT

Just joined the forum.

Does anyone own or know anything about the quality, accuracy, etc. of the Para Ordnance products? I am looking for a .45 auto and a dealer told me the new P14-45 Limited is one of the nicest looking "custom" production guns he has ever seen.

I too have heard some good things about the new DA Para Ordance. I'd like to hear some comments on it I could. Also can one get high cap. mags for the Ruger P97? Will older ruger mags work in this model?
thanks
Scratch

The Ruger P97 is a single stack gun, as is the P90 that preceded it...there were never any hi-cap mags made for either gun. I am not sure if the mags interchange but I am inclined to believe so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back