Looking for a 1911 in the $400.00 range new or used

gringo5

I'm looking to replace a stolen Kimber compact but am thinking to go used or new. I have holsters and mags and lots of ammo but no .45. Love my glocks, tarus's, S&W's, NAA, RUGER MK2, and my COLT diamondback .22. But i just don't feel right without a 1911.Here in COSTA RICA guns are expensive.(ie.all glock models $1800.00). I've been looking at 1911's here but used (legal) are $1000.00. I'll be in Florida soon so i'll pick one up and bring it here. How are the Argentine 1911's and will the mag's i have fit them. A friend in florida has a COLT 80's series that has been rebuilt with 70's series parts for 500.00 any problems to look for? how are the Charles Daly .45?

Hoo boy!

Are you opening up a can of worms. I have had good luck with, and recommend, a genuine (used) Colt or a (used) Springfield Armory.

If the 1911forum was not down for update I would send you there to look at the Charles Daly or Systema COLT info threads. 1911forum.com should be up by 4/1 so if you've got time take a look. I don't have personal info on Daly, but for wat it's worth....they are made in the Philipines or somewhere thereabouts. Quality of newer guns is spozed to range from O.K. to pretty good. I'm a Colt fanatic and I do have experience with Argentine models. Most are arsenal refinished and look pretty good. Check barrel and ramp for wear and damage or attempt at mods. If your Kimber was a Compact the mags are interchangeable with Colt officers but to short to work in full size 1911 as Argie's are. As a side note: Daly makes a pretty nice lookin officers size and your mags will fit. If your friends Colt looks good that may be best bet. See if you can fire it. Possible probs. though with a rebuilt gun are too many to list.

I have a Charles Daly(brand new) and it cost me $370 out the door. The only thing I had to do with it wasreplace the factory supplied magazines. I know a lot of people here swear by the Colt and Springfield Armory 1911 and they are great, reliable firearms. I've just had good experiences with the Daly.

Try to time your trip to coincide with one of the big gun shows like Miami or W.palm. For a bit more you could pick up a Colt 1991A1 for around $550 or a last years Springfield for less than $500.

The M1927 Argentene Colt is A Honest to Goodness 1911A1 built on Colt Equipment. $400 Should get you one. Any 1911 parts fit,at least all the stuff I have tried on one of mine does.

Actually, $299 will get you a pristine Sistema 1927 from http://www.cruffler.com. I got one a couple weeks back, and it looks like a brand new gun! It's also 100% Colt and/or 1911 compatible in all the parts, so it's a good platform gun if you want to go that way. IMO, it's one of the better 1911 deals around nowadays... FWIW, I'd check the review of the Daly at http://www.firearmsforum.com/ before buying one, Mark was not that impressed with the gun he shot and disassembled. I also think a lot of Mark's opinion on such matters, FWIW.

Charles Daly all the way!!

I have one that was one of the first ones out. It is a good gun for the money. From what I hear the quality control has gone up very much. I've shot a bunch of rounds through mine and no problems. Only modifications were skateboard tape on the front strap and a shock buffer. Hope that this helps---DAROGUE1

Best bets in the $400 range:

Argentine Colt made by Colt (some still available; refinished, but so what?

Argentine Colt (Sistema Colt) made in Argentina. (NOT Ballester-Molina)

Norinco (tough as they come)

WWII GI beater. (solid and reliable if condition and collectibility are not a big deal)

Jim

Gentlemen, I thank you for your imput! i'm not looking for a pretty gun just one thats reliable.When i'm back in the States i'll look at the gun shows. As a matter of fact i had picked up my Kimber at a show in FT.MEYERS,FL. a couple of years ago.When i bring the gun back to Costa Rica i'll get hit with a 167% import duty on the gun and custom's here sets the price, so older the better.Do the older guns handle Corbons and Black Talons safely? THANKS

The older 1911's will safely fire these rounds, although with the +P pressures of the Corbon you might want to go with a slightly heavier than stock spring. If you bought an older weapon, you would do well to go ahead and replace all the springs as well as purchase a full parts set to bring back with you. Just keep all the custom parts that you want to add, like a commander type hammer, ambi safety, and beavertail grip safety, out of the weapon till you clear customs, and then put all your good stuff on!

Safely the weapon will handle these loads, but reliably is another issue. The Black Talon bullet profile lends itself to pretty good reliability in unmodified guns, but the Corbon has a relatively large, flat nose that may give you problems.

Good Shooting
Red

I have a Kimber Compact, I picked up REAL CHEAP while traveling through Costa Rica. I'll sell to you for $400.00. ;) Deal, yes? Donde esta la bano? ;)

Back