Looking for 7.7 jap load

polska

I have just Winchester 760 and 748 powder and can't seem to find any loads for 7.7jap. All my loading manuals have many loads for imr's but nothing for Winchester. There never seems to be much info for Winchester powders for some reason. Any data would help.

Maybe I should not contribute to the delinquency of a reloader, as Jeff Cooper said, but if you poke around in Hodgdon www data you will find that
1. Loads for W760 and H414 are identical in calibers where both are shown.
2. There is 7.7 data for H414.

Not being a very popular round there isn't a lot of data for the 7.7x58mm Arisaka, and nearly all of that is IMR powders.

HOWEVER, there are W748 loads for the .303 British, and I think you could use some of that as a starting point.

Do remember that while the Arisaka has a reputation for being a strong action (in blow up tests) it was built for a 45K psi cartridge, not a modern 55-60K psi one. I run my 7.7s at max of 2500fps with 180gr slugs roughtly duplicating original ammo load levels. Do keep an eye on your stock when you go shooting, the Type 99 has a multi piece stock that is glued together and that old glue sometimes comes apart. Had one do that. forearm came apart. No damage to the wood, just "came unglued" during recoil. Cleaned off the old glue and repaired with Elmer's carpenter glue and its been just fine ever since.

IMR 4895 is what I use for the 7,7mm, works well, and I have it...

Thanks, sorry I forgot to state I have 150 gr bullets.
Didn't know H414 and W760 were the same powder. I usually use imr4895 but I am saving it for my M1 and 1903 for the summer vintage shoots. Only powder I can find right now is 760. I just bang steel with the Arisaka so just need a load that shoots.

Thanks, sorry I forgot to state I have 150 gr bullets.
Didn't know H414 and W760 were the same powder. I usually use imr4895 but I am saving it for my M1 and 1903 for the summer vintage shoots. Only powder I can find right now is 760. I just bang steel with the Arisaka so just need a load that shoots.
If you can get your hands on a copy of the Lyman Reloading Handbook 46th edition
(50th anniversary edition doesn't have it) you will find data for both jacketed and cast bullets . The 7.7 Japanese is located on page 312 , right after data for 303 British.

After WWII lots of surplus military rifles were used and reloaded for ... but new manuals have slowly dropped data for them .
A great reason to keep your old reloading manuals and buy them when you find one .
Gary

When I started loading for the 7.7mm Arisaka, all the books had the loads very much reduced. So I worked it up to .308 Winchester data with no problems and didn't give much more thought. Now all the books have the 7.7mm load with more powder than the .308 Win.

So in a pinch you could use .308 Win data and work up or not. The hottest .308 is still less powder than a starting 7.7mm load in the latest Hornady book. I haven't hunted with the 7.7 in a very long time but I took a few deer with .308 load data...

Tony

Back