Looking at some 6.8 SPC AR-15s

the45er

I might have an opportunity to sort through a collection of AR-15's and pick out a few to buy at a very reasonable price. I want get a couple of 6.8 SPC's. There are 15 of these in the collection and while I haven't seen them, I've seen pictures and descriptions. The two I'm looking hardest at both have left-side ejection. I'm pretty ignorant of this mechanism though and while I know that Bear Creek Arsenal's left side charging system is reciprocating, I understand many are not. I'd prefer not to have that handle move upon firing. How can one tell if it is reciprocating or not without firing it?

Also, given a choice between a YHM 16" Fluted Fluted 1:11 twist and a AR Performance 16" Fluted barrel, all else being equal, which one would you choose to increase the probability of getting a superbly accurate barrel (recognizing that a little experimenting in ammo selection may be needed)? I've heard good things about both manufacturers.

"The two I'm looking hardest at both have left-side ejection."
Do you shoot left handed?
A reciprocating charge handle will be attached directly to the bolt(usually a side charge set-up). Top located T-shaped charge handles don't reciprocate.
I've nothing but excellent results with ARP barrels and would recommend them w/o reservation.

Mobuck said:
A reciprocating charge handle will be attached directly to the bolt(usually a side charge set-up). Top located T-shaped charge handles don't reciprocate

Yep, it would really suck if a top mounted charging handle reciprocated!

The ejection port is conventional; ergo, on the right side. The left hand would be used to pull back the BCG to charge the weapon. I'm not left handed!

I'm having trouble picturing what you're trying to describe. If it has a RH ejection port, and a LH charging handle- it may be a Gibbz Non-reciprocating billet upper receiver. I've assembled 4 or 5 of these. They're pretty cool.
https://gibbzarms.com/

"How can one tell if it is reciprocating or not without firing it?"

Retract the bolt and lock it open. If the charge handle can be moved to it's original position w/o the bolt moving, it is a "non-reciprocating" charge handle.
FWIW
A non-reciprocating CH on the left side of an AR would be fairly uncommon.
In the OP, it was plainly stated " both have left-side ejection". Was this just a mis-speak?

Of the three mentioned, AR Performance. I have ARP barrels in calibers from .223, 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, ..270AR, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. All shoot around .5 MOA. A TAC6 (6mm 6.8 wildcat) that I recently sold off was the best of the bunch. It would group .3 MOA. But don't have the time for a wildcat. I have a ARP .224 Valkyrie (long freebore) but not sure how it will group since haven't been able to shoot it. I've got one 6.8 with a APR barrel that I converted to a side charge. Love it! Reciprocating bolt and all.

Mobuck is mostly correct.

Does it have a side-charging handle, or a conventional "T-style" charging handle?

Almost all side-charging handles reciprocate, whereas no "T-style" handles do.

Back