Looking at Ruger No. 1.... good deal?

Beagle333

I'm looking at an excellent condition, very low mileage, stainless Ruger No. 1 (K-1A) in .35 Whelen. The fellow wants $1150 for it.... I can't find a lot of these for comparison. I don't even think they made a lot of these. Anybody got any better references than I can find?
Thanks! :)

Sounds like retail on a new one to me. You really want that caliber? Limited production? If you don't see any others for comparison seems like you have to buy that one if you really want one, no?

I do want that caliber. I have others in .35W, but not a Ruger. I didn't find any others for sale, but was just checking if anybody might have seen any on sale that wasn't easily found online, or might not even be online. I think my gunsmith keeps a current blue book.... I'll have to check with him. :cool:

I think buying any #1 is going to be tougher in the future, and the Whelen is probably pretty rare in the #1. I wouldn't hesitate if you want it.

.35 Whelen is a scarce caliber in these so collectability is a plus. Price is more than for a 30-06 or similar. If you want the caliber, buy it, you won't see another one for a year or two. Been looking for 404 Jeffery for two years.

Maybe you can haggle a bit.

If you like Ruger #1s (I do) plus you like the 35W (I do, but have to confess I don't have one) I'd snatch it up.

I'd be willing to bet you wont find another in the near future, If you do, it wont be anywhere close to that price.

Snatch it up, at that price, if you decide you don't like it, (which I doubt will be the case) you want have any problems getting your money back.

The more I look at em and the more I can read..... I'm kinda leaning toward it.
Now I just gotta dig in the reloading room and raise some funds. Thanks for the replies and if anybody else has any comments/info on the Ruger No. 1, I would appreciate it. I do check here often, even though I usually play in the casting section of this forum. :)

Last edited:
That one is at a grand with over 4 days left to go. The price you were offered sounds pretty good by comparison.

I'm gonna do it. I will need to dig deep for something to liquidate.

"For sale: One soul... slightly used."

But I'm gonna do it! :)

Do it! I missed out on a Marlin 39a the week after Christmas because i took a day to think about it:rolleyes:. I have been searching locally for 2 years and this was the first one i have found not to mention it was an early 50s gun in 90% condition :mad: for.......400 lousy dollars. Last time i ever do that again.

most number 1s are low production numbers. every year they change the chamberings aside from a couple distributer exclusives which have hung around a bit longer than usual but generally any given chamber is only in production for a single year. 1100 is fair assuming it's still in good condition.

I told him this morning that I would do it, and he said that he was in no hurry and would wait for me to raise the money. Woot! :):)

I love the #1. None of mine are in limited production calibers.

standard.jpg

when???

What year(s) were the Whelen rifles produced. Supposedly, the early rifles were near semi custom in quality. Guess I could check one of my books.

I believe they weren't a catalog item, and were made in a run of only 133 for Lipsey's exclusively. I'm fairly sure now that it was 2006.

Last edited:
If that 133 rifle production number is correct, that's less than a third of the .303 British run for Lipseys', most of which exported to Canada and Australia where the round is beloved for hunting. Those are running $1250 and up when they come up for sale here, genuinely a scarce rifle. Your 35 Whelen doesn't seem overpriced to me, good investment and a good elk gun.

Back