Looking at getting into defensive pistol shooting competitions...

checkmyswag

Where do I start?

There are two large ranges near me which hold events.

How many rounds are typically fired during these events (trying to not break the bank).

I like the idea of the 3 gun competition but that would require buying a long range rifle it looks like.

Additionally I like the idea of practicing "real world" shooting which for a civilian will nearly always be with a pistol. (I know real world shooting consists of pop up shoot back targets.)

What kind of gear do I need for these defensive pistol courses?

Best place to start is finding out what kind of matches are being run at the clubs and ranges nearby.
Then go to the sanctioning organization web sites and download the rule book.
The more popular matches are usually idpa.com, uspsa.org, also the home of the Steel Challenge matches, ICORE revolver matches, NRA Action Pistol.

What kind of gear do I need for these defensive pistol courses?
Handgun, 9mm or larger, safe holster, some magazines (how many depends on which organization and/or which division within that organization). A "safe" holster will cover the trigger guard when holstered. Generally cross-draw and shoulder rigs not allowed. Also a way to carry magazines on your belt; you can stuff them in your pockets but that gets old fast.

Karl's list is good. There is also Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches.

How many rounds are typically fired during these events (trying to not break the bank).
Varies. Approx 100-120 for IDPA, 120-150 for USPSA (which is the US branch of IPSC).

I like the idea of the 3 gun competition but that would require buying a long range rifle it looks like.
A long range rifle is not required. While pistol-caliber carbines are at a disadvantage, any AR15 will do to start, even a mini-14 or AK.

Lee

for IDPA, its rules specifically say that each string/stage can only have a max of 18 rounds.

for USPSA, the typical max round count per stage is 32.

I say if you bring 200 rounds to either match, you'll be fine.

Back