Looking at an IMA Snider Enfield

Trum4n1208

Howdy all,

I'm a newbie to BP firearms in general, but I've decided that I really want a Snider Enfield rifle, due to the coolness factor and how easy they are to load for. To this end, I've basically sold myself on the IMA Cleaned and Completed Snider rifles. I was curious if anyone had any experience with these. I know that they are mechanically functional, but in general, how shootable are they (again, just asking for generalities here)? I'm planning on taking this to my local gunsmith to have him check it over and see if it is safe to fire. Now, I know that most gunsmiths won't have particular knowledge on the Snider Enfield, but is that particular knowledge necessary for determining safety?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations/tips/information concerning these rifles that would be helpful for someone just starting out to know?

I appreciate everyone's time, and thanks in advance for any answers!

Best wishes,

Trum4n1208

411127708.jpg

This is an 1872 BSA Snider, which is not what IMA is selling, but it's close enough.

411127709.jpg

It's easy to make a cartridge for this rifle that will go "bang"; it's not so easy to get one to shoot straight.
Loading for the Snider, Martini, Werndl, Beaumont etc. can become almost a religious vocation...or a cult membership. So, be warned.
In the vast trash heap of YouTube, there are some very good videos about black powder cartridge arms and how to load/shoot them.
Try britishmuzzleloaders and capandball to begin with, first is a Canadian, second is an Hungarian and both channels are very informative. Plus the guys wear period costumes.
Try this Martini forum: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Martini-Henry-Forum.
It's a good place to start learning the lore of the grease cookie. Also a good place to find other places.
I have never gotten either of my b.p. cartridge rifle to shoot worth a damn, so I offer no personal tips and tricks.
-----krinko

I have one of the Nepalese Sniders that IMA is selling and I like it very much. The only issue I have had is that the wood was very dry and developed some cracks. I have addressed these with brass pins and epoxy. I shoot mine with .60 pure lead round balls and 24 gauge plastic shotgun hulls. I have the brass shells, but the plastic ones are too easy to load. BP or subs only. My bore looked new when I received it and still does.

TK

Attachments

• Snider-1.jpg
    Snider-1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Snider-2.jpg
    Snider-2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 26
Back