Looking at a Enfield mk3 303 British rifle.

bspillman

Can anyone educate me on the 303 British cartridge and this rifle? What's this rifle worth? It has been sported out and set up for a scope. Seems to be in great working condition and not to beat up.

Sported out about $200-$300. Hard to tell without pics and or more specific info. Once you sport it out it's usually worth less than having original stock, etc...

If its sported its not worth much, maybe 200. 303 is a good round, carries alot of energy for say short/medium range deer hunting.

Nice little stopper and take a box mag or clips. 10 shots. I would putt the optic off and be able to use clips, maybe put on a front sight if it doesn't have one, maybe a rear if it doesn't have one.

"...Enfield mk3..." You mean a No. 1 Mk III? Rear sight on the barrel? Serial number on bolt match the S/N on the receiver?
If you haven't actually bought the thing yet, get proof of good headspace. Thousand of 'em have been assembled out of parts bins with no QC. Not even to ensure the thing is safe to shoot.
Otherwise, before you shoot it, check or have the headspace checked. If the headspace is bad, fixing it is expensive. No. 1 bolt heads are not marked and you need a handful to check with proper headspace gauges (no bits of tape, empty cases, wads of gum, bits of string or even feeler gauges.) until you find one that closes completely(any amount of not closed is ok) on a Go, but not on a No-Go. If it does close on a No-Go you use a Field. If it closes completely on a Field, the headspace is excessive and the rifle is not safe to shoot with any ammo.
Then you need to slug the barrel. Lee-Enfields can have a barrel groove diameter from .311" to .315" and still be considered ok. Larger than .315" the barrel is shot out. Problem is that factory ammo and bullets for reloading are .311" or .312" with some reasonably priced, larger diameter, cast bullets being available from Montana Bullets.
The cartridge itself(Usually with 174 grain bullets these days. Hornady makes a 150 grain SP that'll put deer and up to elk/moose in the freezer. They make 174 grain match ammo too.) will kill any game in North America including big bears.
General info about the No. 1 is here. http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/smle/
Sporterised No. 1's are running about $500 on the auction sites.
Oh and only a No. 1 is an SMLE.

During my lifetime, I've gone through at least 6 Enfields, running from mil-config through sporterized. I had mucho bad luck along the way, till I finally smartened up. :)
My only current one is a No 4 MKII, which I got in nearly unfired condition.

It got to be too much of a gamble, without access to gauges & bolt heads.
The old Enfields are great rifles, but the bolt is its greatest weakness in longterm shooting, and you never know what you'll get nowdays on a well-used specimen.

Especially one that's been bubba-ized.
When done by a master, going well beyond just hacking off sections of military-issue wood, an Enfield sporter can be a thing of beauty & joy. :)
Denis

I have a 1916 dated Lithgow No.1 MkIII. Paid thirty five dollars for it in the 90s. It keyholed at 25 yards with factory ammo, so I loaded up some 122gr .311 and some BLC-2 and, with an ammo can for a rest and the issue sights...well, we were shooting at a V8 juice can taped to the top of the mast of a pirate ship floating on a pond we had been firing Civil War cannons at, maybe 200 yards. The V8 juice can was filled with black powder and securely duct taped. My friend was shooting his heavy barrel .308 sniper rifle with big old scope and a Harris bipod. His son was shooting his varmint-weight .223 bolt gun, also big scope and bipod. That V8 juice can was a tough target, flapping and bobbing around out there. We took turns, and I got it on my third shot. Ker-blooie! Better than tannerite, never would have believed it would actually ignite. My friend, one of the best shots I've ever known, turned to me with disbelief and said, "Nice shooting". Hehehe, I'll never forget that compliment, and never sell that rifle, just for this story.

The rifle has stamped on it SHTL.E III under the crown. It also is stamped England on top of the chamber. Is this a good one to own?

Stamped England is a U.S. required stamp. Should be a bunch of stamps starting with a 'BNP'. Those are proof marks required by the Brits on any milsurp sold through Britain. Nothing whatever to do with Lend/Lease as some sites think.
The "SHTL.E III" means Short Lee-Enfield(should be a year and a place of manufacture with GR, means George Rex, too). The 'Short' refers to its length compared to previous rifles like the Lee-Metford. That was when there was an infantry rifle and a Cavalry rifle/carbine. The Lee-Enfield was intended to be issued to both.
"...good one to own..." In its current condition and assuming the headspace is ok, it's a dandy hunting rifle. Restoring it to military configuration will be very expensive though.

Back