lookin for a new .22

muleshoe

Okay guys, I need a little help here. I've been thinking about getting a new .22 rifle. Same old story, I want quality without spending a fortune. Probably a bolt. Will be doing some serious plinking and not so serious plinking. Punching paper and punching holes in ground squirrels and tree dwellers also. I'm wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect at say 50 yds, maybe 100? It'll have a good quality scope on it. Thanks in advance........

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Muleshoe,

I've gotten 1/2 MOA groups with my Marlin 882 in 22mag. A tack driver at 100 yards. It might not be what you're looking for since 22mag ammo is 2x that of 22LR.

Jason

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

Hard to go wrong with the 10/22 - so many options to trick it up & not a bad shoote outa the box. Triggers pretty much suck but for a few $, that can be fixed.

The li'l Browning take-down semi auto's a beautiful piece (of history too), really lightweight - a bit on the pricey side.

Since we've got the aboves covered already, think the next would be the Rem pump. Shoots shorts, longs & LR for versatility, etc.

Marlin eh? I've looked at a few of those, the price is right. Seems like most come with a 7rd. mag., anything else available?

Anyone have any experience with Ruger's 77/22? They look to cost quite a bit more, are they worth it?

------------------

All Marlins are accurate! All Marlins are reliable. All Marlins are priced right. So what ya gonna get? MARLIN! :) Seriously, you cannot go wrong with them. I love mine (have an old 99 and a new 882SS). They are both accurate (882SS is extremely accurate). Check out the Marlins some more. I can't comment on the Ruger since I have no experience with them. Good luck. Did I mention...Marlins?

Hueco

I liked the Ruger 77/22, but all I could afford at the time was the Marlin. IIRC, the scope rings for the Ruger bases are not cheap (compared to most). If you can live with the price, go with the Ruger. I feel the quality is better than Marlin. I think the lockup on the Ruger is also a bit more sophisticated than the Marlin too.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

I use the Marlin model 25. I have had it for about 10 years. I beat it up so badly hunting that it was in rough shape to say the least! A few years ago I Tefloned the metal, ordered a synthetic stock from marlin and a nickle plated mag. A Simmons 3x9x44 sets on it, and I polished the trigger to smooth the pull. I have about $250 in this gun, scope and all. It WILL...WITHOUT A DOUBT shoot with any Ruger 77/22.PERIOD! Don't get me wrong, the Rugers are nice, but I have never seen one that will outshoot a Marlin. SO.... dollar for dollar I would buy a Marlin. Parts are cheap and very easy to install. A trigger job runs about $20 at our shop and takes me about 15 mins. The REMINGTON 572 mentioned above..... NO,NO,no. I own one of those fine "lead chuckers" and I have worked on many. They are not very accurate, and they seem to be just as bad with a scope. I can outshoot that 572 with one hand with my CHEAP, UGLY, CLUNKY OLD MARLIN! ( oh yea, the very reason I bought that 572 was because the owner said it was junk! Like brand new $100. Sets in the safe as a collector. The Marlin is the "meat gun".
CJB
" I'M THE NRA "

Go with the ruger 10/22. There cheap to buy,there are lots of aftermarket parts barrels,stocks,sights,mags,and the list goes on. Also there not such a POS like the marlin where your going to have to load that stupid tube mag and have jams every 3 shots. 223sniper

.223 sniper,
There are also lots of after market parts for the Marlins. Marlin makes 3 auto loaders with detachable mags. I have an old model 75c
( with that stupid tube mag!) it has had about 50 billion rounds thru it( give or take a round) and I cant remember the last jam.Its bone stock and I'll bet you it will shoot with any stock 10/22. Of course I can't prove this to you, but I really don't have to. I like the Rugers, but the Marlin is STILL better dollar for dollar!! Bolt or auto!
CJB

Is the Marlin a bolt gun? If so what model is it? How much do they cost? I'd like to find an inexpensive bolt gun for my kid.
As far as the ruger is concerned it is the closest thing that I have come across to point and click shooting. The darn thing won't miss. Ask the ground squirrels, they have wanted posters up where I hunt.
Scratch

I'm noy sure why, but I kinda want a bolt action. I'd think on the 10/22 except for some bad experiences I've had with them. I hope this doesn't get lost cause I'd like to see some comments on the 10/22. I know there are a bunch of you guys out there that shoot them. 20 some odd years ago I had a friend who had one, jammed every half a dozen rounds or so. In the early 80's another good friend of mine bought one NIB, I was with him. On the way home we shot a box of shells up. Durned thing hung up at least 8 times. Well we turned around and went back to the shop and the guy gave him another new one. This one was considerably better, only jammed 4 times. That was all I needed to see. Has anyone else had these kind of problems with this rifle? We were told it was the rotory mag. system, didn't have all the bugs worked out of it. Okay, they must by now. Does the 77/22 use the same mag. as the 10/22? Please tell me they're better than they used to be.

------------------

No expert with the 10/22s. We've got a couple as does a bud. Hardly ever clean 'em (I know) & they're very reliable. Only problem I've had is sometimes the mag gets a lead build-up where the bullet nose feeds up & into the chamber. A little P&M keeps it all shooting fine.

I have had a misfire a time or two, but have had that with every .22 & that seems to be more to do with the bullet rather than the shooter.

Nice shooter in a semi, but nothing to write home about. I would write letters if I dropped the bucks on a Custom Clark, Varq, etc.

Well here is my two cents worth.

I have one of the first Ruger 77/22 all weathers that came out in 1986/87. This gun has never had any custom work done to it at all. It has a leupold 3x9 compact and will out shot darn near any other gun except maybe one of them custom bull barreled 10 pound jobbers that are useless in the field.

The little M77/22 all weather is perfect for the field and for formal plinking.

I was so impressed with the Ruger M77/22 all weather that I ordered a Ruger M77/22 varmint with the target grey bull barrel and laminated stock. NOW THIS GUN IS A TACK DRIVER. It will shot with any gun I have come across and digests any ammo I care to feed it.

I suggest the M77/22 Varmint over any other .22 bolt action on the market. It is field ready and target from the box.

Hope this helps,
Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm - judge blackhawk

Back