Lookig at getting a Taurus 445T, 450T, S&W 340PD for CCW want input.

Elkslayer

I am considering getting one of the above mentioned revolvers for CCW but have some concerns and would like to hear from any of you who have and carry any of them.

What I want -

* a revolver not a semi-auto. I've looked at and handled - Glock 23, 36, 30 too big for pocket carry. Looked at Kahr 40 S&W, liked it and might consider it. 'nuf said about semi-autos.

* 2" or 2.5" barrel.

* Light to carry, want to use in jacket/coat/vest pocket and not in a holster. Don't want it to "print" because of its weight. (otherwise I'd carry my Colt Officer ACP).

* Would like it to have a concealed hammer (al la Taurus) or hammerless like the S&W 340PD.

* In a caliber larger than .357 because 357's are wicked in short barreled revolvers both in blast and recoil.

Some concerns for those I've listed are -

S&W 340PD - short barrel causes lots of muzzle blast, controllability of such a short barreled revolver. Available in .357 but I'd like to have a bit more "punch" (not velocity) which takes me to...

Taurus 445T (.44 spl)or 450T (.45 Long Colt) - both have 2" ported barrels, both are made in titanium, They have the "mass" I am looking for in a cartridge but come with a hammer spur which I'd need to have removed, plus I'd really rather NOT have a ported barel (I don't need to have my nasal hairs toasted). And I'm concerened about how large they are for coat pocket carry.

I'd like to hear from any of you who have one of these.

Taurus is suppose to be coming out with their 850T CIA soon. Be patient! They seem to have solved the binding cylinder and breaking triggers associated with the titanium line. Have not seen them come back for some time now. Gun should provide good value for the money. If money is no concern and you want it now, Smith & Wesson is the way to go and you can't go wrong. I have a Scandium Mountain Lite and it has been great so far.

http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/m850t.html

I carry a regular stainless steel concealed hammer 445 in the front right pocket of my Wranglers with no problem--I buy the "Rugged Wear" because I do carry. It doesn't feel/carry as heavy as its weight would suggest (maybe being slightly larger or because of its shape, it distributes the weight better). It carries lighter than the 640-1 for sure.

I'm no big fan of ported barrels, magnums, or ultra-light weapons for serious concealed-carry use. I think ported barrels are fine for the range but a big mistake for defensive carry. For me, I gain far more in "shootability" than I lose in "carryability" by steering clear of ultra-lights and the magnums.

All I can say is that I have ran the gamut of concealed carry handguns (342, 442/642, 640-1 and SP-101), and I think the steel, concealed hammer 445 is the best of the lot by far.

I know villain recommended the S&W scandium, but you might want to have a look at this thread first--evidently they're getting some mixed reviews.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102880

I second the Taurus. Try the 650 CIA. It is a hammerless 357 that is easily kept in a front pant pocket. A great carry gun!

I am going thru the same "summer gun" dilema! I am looking at the CIA 357, nicer used J frame or the 357 Sc. Also, considering the lack of energy created by the short barrel guns..I have looked hard at the 415-450. CDNN has the light weight 450 on for 250$
same with the 415 stainless version. I would love a stout LC or 41 mag snubbie. But they are too big for me in regards to pocket carry. I honestly think I will get a CIA...great trigger and cyl. lock up is WAY NICE!
Shoot well

650 CIA, if you can handle the weight

The 650 CIA is identical to Taurus' Model 605, a 5-shot snubby which is identical to their highly successful model 85's in .38 spcl. (custom grips for all of these models are absolutely identical!)
The reason I'm saying all of this is to reassure you that you will be getting a tried and proven design. I own a Taurus Mod 85 ultralite and find it a sweet shooter. Again, you will be getting a small but somewhat heavy (about 24.5 oz) hammerless snubby which you will probably appreciate. I think the fit, finish, and realibility of Taurus revolvers has improved dramatically and I would highly recommend them.

Not to push S&W, but their 296 in 44spl might fit the bill. Shrouded hammer and Ti construction, and if I remember correctly, the price was cheaper than the Ti .38 snubbies. They just stopped covering them on their website, so they might be discontinued. You should still be able to get one.

Back