Lookie here what I fell into.

deerslayer303

Replica Arms 1861 Navy. This thing is sweet. Dates to 1970.
KIMG0849.jpg

KIMG0850.jpg

KIMG0851.jpg

KIMG0852.jpg

KIMG0854.jpg

Looks nice. Internet search says they were bought out by Navy Arms (Val Forgett) and that at least some of their arms were made by Uberti. I say, shoot it and tell us about it.

I read that they were variously made by ASM, Palmetto, and Uberti, depending on model and time frame.
XXI is Italian proof code for 1965, the year Replica Arms was sold and moved to Ohio.

I got this old bird too. Figures after I have just bought a new one.
Navy arms. Dated to 1965 its tight, no battering on the recoil shield, timing and lock up are good too. It has been shot I think, but not much.
KIMG0845.jpg

KIMG0839.jpg

Black powder

Holy smokes. I have been out of the muzzleloader game for quite a few years. My brother and I are hunting Wa. deer this year with muzzleloaders.
WOW!!! I can remember back in the day these things being cheap to shoot.
Triple 7 pellets cost a penny per grain very ballpark. That's a buck just for the powder.
Gotta have the 209ML primers too, there's another 20 cents.
Oh ya gotta have a bullet and sabot about a buck here too.
Far cheaper to shoot factory ammo in a magnum or close anyway.
I'm buying a mold, and finding a source for bulk sabots. I'll use plain old 209's and bulk Pyrodex or black.
2 bucks plus per pull of the trigger? that's about 1.75 too much!
I'll save the pellets and other fancy stuff for hunting. I am enjoying getting back in to it, but man oh man the retailers found a honey pot.

Deerslayer,
I have its younger sibling #4510. It has had at least a couple thousand reounds through it. My mom had to sign for it since I was still in high school when I bought it new. It is still as tight fitting as the day I bought it. I've taken it trapping, on varmint hunts, as a deer finisher and lately (since 1992) to an occasional Cowboy Action match. Still have the box which is a bit ratty now. I did have a dovetail front sight installed as it shot a bit too much to the right for me. It might have a replaced handspring.

That's awesome Hellgate! This one is gonna be a keeper for sure. I'll sell the old G&G and recoup some of the money I spent. They came together but I really only wanted the 1861.

From the tool marks and grips I'd say ASM. It should have a makers logo on it somewhere. I saw A NIB G&G at a gun show about 15 years ago with Navy Arms and a Replica Arms logo on it. They wanted 100.00 for it so I left it there.

You will not be sorry. Other than the sighting issue corrected by the dove tail fromt sight this gun is my favorite. I'm considering having it tossed into my casket.

From the tool marks and grips I'd say ASM. It should have a makers logo on it somewhere. I saw A NIB G&G at a gun show about 15 years ago with Navy Arms and a Replica Arms logo on it. They wanted 100.00 for it so I left it there.
The 61 Navy has the Uberti stamp on it. I haven't a clue who made the G&G. The Griswold has a flat faced hammer and no safety pins on the cylinder. I thought that was cool. As many people fill that notch in the hammer to try and alleviate sucking caps off the nipple. I haven't personally done that mod though.

I have a Replica Arms 1860 Army, made in 1966, with box and paper, appears unfired. In case yours needs a mate.

Attachments

• IMG_0799-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0799-compressed.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0797-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0797-compressed.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 26
Back