Looes front sight on Winchester 94AE Ranger

p5200

I purchased this used 30-30 from my daughter and didn't notice the front sight was loose in it's dovetail which, is cut directly in the barrel with no ramp. Is it likely, the sight it's self is worn under size or, the dovetail that's buggered? My eyes are not that great any more so would I be better off to get the front sight fixed/replaced or, get a scope & mount setup? All opinions are welcomed thanks! :)

Remove the sight. Using a flat punch and a SMALL hammer gently tap the dovetail in the barrel down a bit. Go a little at a time and check the sight fit as you go. That should tighten the dovetail adequately to retain the sight securely.

I use a good flat piece of 1/2" brass square bar stock for a punch to do this, as it will not hurt the finish too much. It doesn't take much, just put it on the edge of the barrels dovetail overhang, and give it a tap with an 8 oz. ball-pein hammer. As tango1niner mentioned, do it a little at a time until the sight tightens up when you push it in; just keep checking it for fit after you give it a couple of taps on each side of the dovetail.

You can also stretch the metal on the bottom of the sight, with a prick punch, which widens the dovetail base on it. Just be careful to not break the sight off.

The way it is right now, I can remove it with my fingers so will the punch routine still work? it's pretty loose. :)

Back