Longest modern barrel you've seen

Solitar

With the exception of the old "squirrel" rifles. What is the longest barrel you've seen on a modern centerfire rifle? Specifically, anything in the 36 inch to one meter range?

Not sure if this really falls within your requirements but many of the reproduction single-shot rifle shops (Shiloh Sharps, Lonestar, Ballard, et. al.) carry long barrels plus custom lenghts can be ordered at some shops.

My buddy has a custom sharps rifle with a 34" barrel. It's truly made for longe range shooting, but I told him that since the muzzle is already half way to the target, where's the long range! :D

Some of the early Mauser-type military rifles had barrels of around 30". Dunno why, unless it was a "cultural thing" for armies just coming out of caplocks. This sort of barrel length seems to have ended by around WW I...

FWIW, Art

McMillan 50 caliber rifle. The barrel must have been at least 36". With the muzzle brake, it stood at least 5' tall.

My brother's .308 has a 28" Shilen match barrel.

Yep, 36" long. Check these precision beauties out http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcbros/mcbros.htm

As to really long barrels (admittedly for prone or benchrest precision shooting), maybe I'm under the illusion that a 32+" barrel for a .338 or similar heavy caliber (or even a .308 or '06) would minimize the muzzle blast and noise signature (short of putting a flash supressor/silencer on it) while maximizing the velocity gained from every grain of slow burning powder (for a "push" rather than a sharp punch recoil). The weight would also help the recoil, especially with a heavy varminter match barrel.

Solitar
The problem with longer barrels is that you get diminishing returns with the longer length. Eventually the minuses, such as drag, friction, concentricicy<sp> of barrel etc outweigh the advantages of the longer barrel. Each caliber and twist rate is different, even different barrels from the same lot will probably shoot different. A lot depends on what you call accurate. If you're looking for a hunting rifle then most likely 1 moa or so is sufficient, whereas if you're into 1000 yd silhouette or benchrest, that won't even get you into the ballpark. Again, depending on caliber and twist rate, a 16" or 18" barrel may work as opposed to a 36" barrel. Though for serious benchrest accuracy, a longer barrel seems to help, along with the wildcat cartridges, recoilless benchblock actions, electronic solenoid triggers etc.
From what I've read, long range high-power silhouette is a completely different world. I've been into firearms for 30 years and I didn't recognize a bit of the nomenclature. Even some of the calibers I'd never even heard of, such as the 6 Fatboy etc.

Back