longest confirmed kill??

nottelybill

I am reading a Vince Flynn book and he refered to a fellow who had made a kill at 1 mile. I find that hard to beleive unless it was a happen stance. Could someone actually be assured he could make a shot of that distance. This may be the wrong forum to ask such a question but these guys who write these books seem to know less about guns than any other one thing.

Ummm yeah I think it's not a competition type question:

Since you asked: Gunny Sgt. Carlos Hathcock 1.2 miles using a 50 Cal according to what they taught us in the Marines.

Thanks,
Joe
Semper Fi

Civil War Kill

I think that I read somewhere that during the Civil war a Yankee sniper killed a Confederate General at over a mile using a Black Powder rifle??? If someone knows something about that shot please comment. THANX-- Sneaky

A Canadian Forces sniper, Corporal Rob Furlong, made the longest shot at 2430 meters(2,657 yards) in Afghanistan using a .50 BMG rifle. Hathcock used a scoped M2 .50 BMG at 2,286 meters(2,500 yards). Neither did it with one shot.
"...a Yankee sniper killed a Confederate General..." Other way around. Union General William H. Lytle was killed at Chicamauga from about 800 yards by an unknown Confederate sniper likely using a Withworth rifle.

It wasn't actually a kill but in 1874 a group of buffalo hunters were attacked and surrounded. Billy Dixon fired a black powder .50-70 Sharps rifle into a group of six mounted Indians chiefs at 1538 yards. The shock value of an incoming 500 grainer was enough to convince the attackers to rethink their odds of winning the siege.

Back