Long term storage when the safe is crowded

wagdog

If I kept some shotguns in a silicon sock inside a padded case (safe is crowded), would that be a rust environment? I know the padded cases can hold moisture. What do y'all recommend when you cant store another gun in the safe? I know...buy another safe...

before i bought my second safe i had some rust free storage bags from cheaperthandirt.com they worked great, never had any problems....the ones for long guns were about 10 bucks and the ones for pistols about 6...

When I started asking myself similar questions I bit the bullet and sold several of my least favorites.

It stung at first, but I'll get over it.

2 safes and out of room too.

I took all of the BB guns and .22s out and sitting in wood vertical open racks. They are in a locked gun room but in the basement. They seem fine but have found some mold starting on some leather knife cases in drawer.
Might put dehumidifier down ther in summer as the ac on this level is not run much.

Or should they be in these sock things?

I suppose you could save those desiccant packets from clothes and what not, stick them in a silicon impregnated gun sock, line the edge with desiccant packets, and lock up your Pelican case with the air baffle release thingamabob. Especially if you lock them closed on a low humidity day.

Back