Long term storage of shotgun shells?

Shadow9mm

Hey,
So I guess my main question is whether or not I should add silica gel packs in with shotgun shells for long term storage. I was planning on adding a larger 20gram pack to the case, but I was debating adding 5gram packs to each box individually. While thinking it over I became concerned that the plastic hulls will dry out and get brittle over time, or will do so excessively rapidly if I add silica gel.

This is my storage setup, a Plano can with a rubber gasket, I wiped the gasket down with silicone oil. Put the shells in MTM reloading boxes. I wanted to minimize the cardboard that could hold moisture. They are all from the same lot, I added in the box end for shell identification and the lot number is on the back side. The will be stored indoors out of direct sunlight.

Silica gel or no? What do you think the lifespan of these shells will be, I am seeing around 10years online.

Plano shot shell case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU67ID6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MTM shell stack 12ga 25rnd storage boxes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CD6XRO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20240820_102251_resized.jpg
    20240820_102251_resized.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 20240820_103946_resized.jpg
    20240820_103946_resized.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 213
I would pass on the silica stuff and just place the shells loose in the can. Store the can out of the sunlight in a cool temp closet. Ive got some Hi Brass Remington shells that are 50 years old, and they work just fine.

I was given a few boxes of paper shotgun shells about ten or so years ago that must have been at least 60+ years old at the time I received them. For spits and grins I took a few out and they shot just fine. About the only worry I would have on the plastic shells if they were stored in a place where it got very hot which could allow the plastic to deteriorate to a dangerous level. Otherwise I think they should be OK.
Paul B.

Throw in the 20 gram pack of desiccant and stop worrying about it. Plastic degradation is a real thing, so just keep them in a temperature stable location as much as you can.

Cycle it through - shoot your oldest ammunition first.

In the 80s I used to shoot some of my grampas and dads early 70s or mid 60s shotshells that were early plastic hull ammo. I also shot some paper 12 gauge shells dating from the 50s. The big thing about ammo storage is it must be kept in relatively stable temperatures, preferably in a home closet where the temperature is climate controlled or in a sealed can in a basement. Plastic may deteriorate but the pressure vessel is really the brass or steel head and thick plastic or paper base in shotgun ammo. While old plastic cased ammo may split around the crimp or lengthwise, I doubt the ammo would be unserviceable if 30 or 40 years old. Some of gramps ammo is now going on 60 years plus and while I haven't pulled any out to shoot in years, I have no doubt it would be fine to do so since it was stored in doors.

I wouldn't worry too much about silica gel packs. As long as you're storing them in a cool, dry place, shotgun shells should last for years without issues. The Plano can with a gasket is a solid setup. I’d skip the gel packs—plastic hulls can get brittle over time if they dry out too much. You’re good for the long haul as is!

i agree with these guys...i think you are trying to fix a problem that aint there

keep it stored in a stable place and forget about it...

back in the old days when i lived in Ohio and deer hunting was done with shotgun slugs.....at the end of the season you could buy 5 packs of sluggers or super x for around a dollar to a dollar and a quarter a box.....i would normally use 1-2 shots and i would buy 10 boxes at the end of the season...so over the years they piled up fast...i still have a 30mm ammo can full of them things..and i have given some away......they have to be 35+ years old....well they still kick like hell so im guessin they are just fine

when we were doing a lot of bird hunting over there i reloaded hunting shells for the grouse and i kept them in a 4 gal trash can..grab a hand full put the dog in the car and take off..no special care at all..that was 35+ years ago too...prolly still some of those around here too....i bet they still get it done

lol...dont sweat the small stuff ...i dont know how old you are but i bet them shells will out live you....if stored properly

and if you are using them rotate the stock like said above....they will be fine

Back