Long term rifle storage???????

nedfig

Will standard axle grease keep moisture and such out of the bore and action parts for long term storage(5 to 10 yrs)?

Thanks

Don't know about axle grease, but they used to make this stuff called Rig. It was for use when storing guns long term.

------------------
Torpedo ( Life is great if you can survive it!)

I don't know about the axle grease, but where you store the firearms will make a HUGE difference in how well they are preserved. No amount of grease or oil will protect a firearm stored in moist, humid conditions. Your first goal should be establishing a low moisture, constant temperature storage environment.

I plan on keeping the rifle in a padded case in the house. The central a/c and heat keeps the humidity between 50% and 65%.

When the military packs their rifles in cosmoline, are they stored in a cool dry place with dessicant packets? Does the cosmo keep all air and moisture out?

Nedfig - Those zippered, lined rifle cases eat more guns than the Australian government. So do the closed-cell foam hard cases. Both are notorious for collecting moisture. My friend ruined an old Savage 99 is a soft case. He stored it in his closet, bore filled with oil. Took it out after two years and the barrel surface and lever action had rusted.

If you can, store the rifle with the bolt out or action open, muzzle down, with rig grease in the bore and action - and no case. The circulating air is much less likely to result in condensation on the steel.

Good luck

Noban

Back