Long term rifle storage -clay (bentone) based grease ok?

bazza5

Inactive
Now I know this topic has been discussed on here before and the recommendation seemed to generally that one should avoid lithium-based grease since it tends to separate over time. Some other greases like cosmoline will work reasonably well - if a bit messy come clean up time, compared to say oiling and vacuum packing, etc.

I'm having trouble getting on to any cosmoline and I don't have a vacuum packing gadget, but besides lithium grease I do have some High Temperature Bearing Grease that is clay (bentone) based. Can someone tell me will this will do the job?

I wouldn't use anything designed as a lubricant when you can buy Silicone based products made specifically to protect firearms in storage

Hi Snyper

Sadly my local gun shop doesn't sell any gun storage grease, and the next shop is hundreds of miles away, so I'm trying to make do with what I have on hand.

I highly recommend RIG .It's been around for years, designed for guns, You don't have to clean it off before use as you need only thin coatings.I've been using it for many years without problems. Thin coat with RIG, wrap in VPI paper then in zip lock if you like . :):)

"Sadly my local gun shop doesn't sell any gun storage grease, and the next shop is hundreds of miles away"
You don't have USPS or UPS service?

I use Mobil1 full synthetic wheel bearing grease for my long term packing. It looks like red lime. Feels and sticks like red glue.

It is my understanding that after long periods of time, the bentonite greases actually become caustic.

I use RIG grease, but I will add something about it. It is not a thck coating like cosmoline. If you do not touch the firearm it will be fine, but if you are handling or it is getting knocked around you must re-apply RIG. It works incredibly wel for me though.

Break-Free has a long term storage oil called CO that they say is good for five years. I've had it on some of mine for six months and its working good.

There are a number of gun greases sold that claim to be good for long-term storage. RIG is good, Outers offers a product called "gun grease" (kinda catchy, don't you think?), and then there are the crop of new super-lubes like WeaponShield, Eezox, etc. Pick one.

Back