Long term protection ?

unforgiven

Inactive
I am moving from the very dry desert (15% humidity) where rust is not a great concern to a very humid state (PNW). What should i do to insure no rust will take place, i might not have a lot of time for cleaning etc. at first due to getting settled!

Thanks in advance
Dan

Unforgiven, the first thing to do is to make sure there is no rust present to begin with. If there is it won't matter how much oil or grease etc you put on the steel it will continue to rust. RIG is pretty good for long term storage. I'm sure that there are other products on the market that I haven't used that some of the other guys will be able to vouch for. George

I've had excellent results with Birchwood-Casey's Sheath, even on guns used in small boats in saltwater. I usually see it in a spray can, but it also comes in lighter-fluid-size can. In addition, it dries and doesn't get all over everything like oil, grease and silicone does. Easier, but more expensive, are the treated plastic storage bags from Bianchi and Brownell's.
Having said all of that, I got along fine for 35 yrs. here in beautiful, green (read humid) Virginia will just number 9, gun oil and maybe a silicone cloth for fingerprints. Just don't leave your gun in a damp case. John

P.S. - Richmond weather now: foggy, 57 and 100% humidity.

Thanks for the answers.
Just trying to be careful metal things last forever in the desert with little care, and i am ignorant of wetter climates being a desert rat all my life!

Unforgiven

As had johnbt, I too have had excellent results with Sheath. Wipe the gun down Sheath after each cleaning and have had no problems. Have also heard that CorrosionX is good for rust prevention, but no first-hand experience.

Regards,
Frank

I have used CorrosionX with great success in North Central Texas, we can get some pretty high humidity from time to time. It is good stuff and works as advertised.

Back