Long range rifle shooting - without a range

MuzzleBlast

I would like to take up long range rifle shooting. The longest actual range around here (central Arkansas) that I could actually use is the Benton range, 600yds. According to the Forest Service website, target shooting is not allowed in national forest land except in designated ranges. Does anyone have suggestions?

Get yourself set up for "minisniping" with a good air rifle. All the fun of long range shooting, without the long range.

Other than that, two different gun clubs shoot at Camp Robinson for High Power (out to 600) and Long Range High Power (out to 1000). Central Arkansas Gun Club ant Jefferson County Gun Club, sounds like a great way to get into distance shooting as High Power shooters love to see new people on the firing line.

Jimro

Last edited:
go

If Benton is within reasonable driving distance to you, and you have not shot out to 600, go and shoot there. My thought is you will be sufficiently challenged and learn enough at 600 to keep you busy and challenged for some time.

Smaller 10-zones at close ranges = standard 10-zones at longer ranges. The main difference is in knowing the trajectory. Skill levels are the same.

"Smaller 10-zones at close ranges = standard 10-zones at longer ranges. The main difference is in knowing the trajectory. Skill levels are the same."

Maybe---if you don't give any credit to learning to read and compensate for the wind at actual range.

Maybe---if you don't give any credit to learning to read and compensate for the wind at actual range.

Depends on what rifle you use.

At sea level, a 22LR Federal 40gr Match bullet at 1080 FPS in a 10 MPH full value wind has about 3.9 MOA of wind at 100 yards, which is roughly the same as my 6.5-06 Long Range rig at 625 yards (140AMAX @ 2818 FPS). At 200 yards it has about 9 min, which matches my 6.5 at about 1200 yards.

Find a friend, or friend of a friend with some land. I know a guy who owns quite a bit of land that will let me shoot. But only at certain times of the year, so I can't go any time. He cuts hay to sell and I can't use it during the cutting season. And he has promised the hunting rights to someone else, so I can't go during deer or turkey season. But it is better than nothing.

I'd say no way, not "maybe".

Heck, if it weren't for the wind there would be no excuse for missing at 1000 yards. And if it's not a "range" setting, needs to be able to range targets with a reticle or rangefinder and possibly compensate for angle as well.

We just had an indoor range, with 100 yard rifle available open up and went to check it out. Their benches aren't set up very well, but I'm thinking about doing load development there instead of outdoors, even though the wind has minimal effect at that short a distance.

Back