Long Range Rifle for All Day Shooting

WinMag

I am looking for recommendations on a rifle for long range, all day shooting. I frequently go through many boxes of ammunition on a weekly basis. I currently own a Model 70 in 300WinMag, and a MKII in 338Win. I would like a rifle that would enable me to shoot all the time without having to worry about barrel life. My shots usually take me over 300yds.

Thanks in advance,
WinMag

You have to equate the price of barrels with the price of owning a high performance rifle just like you do the powder and bullets you shoot. If one doesn't want to wear out barrels he had better confine his shooting to rim fires. When you look at it that it takes the same amount of money to replace a barrel as it does to buy the bullets you shot to wear it out it doesn't seem so bad. Having said that , the high velocity 22s are as hard on barrels as your 300. The 6mms don't do much better The 223 will go between 3500 and 4000 rounds before accuracy starts to go but again you can't call it a long range rifle. A good rule of thumb is barrel life is consistent with the pounds of powder you shoot regardless of caliber.

Thanks Gale,

That makes sense. Would you recommend a good 10/22 like the Ruger with a bull barrel in order to satisfy my urge to shoot all the time (even though its not long range)enabeling me to work on form in between firing the 300?

WinMag

My advice would be to buy your .22 rimfire, whether a 10-22 or whatever, AND a good tweener rifle, perhaps in .223. You sound like someone who just LOVES to shoot, and long range at that. Maybe a rimfire will suit you, but at least the .223 can reasonably go out to 300 yards depending on bullet and barrel twist. Surplus or reloaded ammo is cheap. Might be just the ticket.

And hey, one can never have too many rifles although my wife might take issue.

Rick

------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

308, 308, 308!! Load it up/down whatever. Lots of good cheap ammo out there. Will kill anything that needs killin in moderate ranges and target shooters/snipers use it out to 1000 yds. barrel steel will last quite a long time as long as you do your part by keeping it clean and not overheating it.

It seems there is also the issue of how hot you want to load it. If I understand the issue correctly, a lot of rifles that are supposedly "shot out" have simply suffered throat erosion from shooting really hot loads through it regularly. If you want to shoot lots, suppose you loaded down, just a tad. Like, say-- 2850 for you .300 Win Mag instead of 3000 fps. I realize that this getting down near .30-06 velocities, but consider the amount of shooting you can do with that! That's still a very respectible load, but your throat will definitely last longer.

I shoot my dad's .257 a lot still, and it yet produces groups well within an inch, which is decent for a 25 year-old rifle that gets shot each and every year a fair amount. Dad's technique was to load it only moderately hot-- say, a 100 grain spitzer at 2800fps instead of up to the 3000 fps he could actually safely go. Thus, it's only right around what the [traditionally underloaded] factory ammo is loaded to, but it consistantly groups well, even now.

That said, I load my .300 Win Mag to a good hot magnum load that brings me 3100+ with my 180s (supposed to still be within SAAMI, and no signs of pressure). I bought a magnum, I shoot a magnum. Someday, I'll have shot this barrel out, and I'll buy a new one from Shilen, who's just down the road a piece... or whomever-- I almost look forward to the project. Another dead soldier... :)

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 24, 1999).]

Rick,

Your reading my mind! I think we need to get together and convice the wives exactly why we need more rifles...they just don't seem to understand...:-)

Stumpthinker,

I was also thinking about the .308 as another rifle that I would like to aquire. Lets see...that brings me to 1-2-3, 3 more rifles I need to convince the wife to let me get. Wish me luck! If you don't hear from me...she shot me with my 300 WinMag!

Long Path,

Thanks for the reloading tips. I haven't done any reloading yet, BUT...I plan on getting a reloader this Christmas sometime. I have heard good things about Dillon, and not too much on RCBS(?). What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the input,
WinMag

...I know, I'll tell the wife that i'm getting the .22 for her!...It didn't work (now I have a sore shoulder from being punched by a little fist). She just doesn't appreciate the craftmanship and value of a fine firearm.

WinMag

Agree with Long Path on loading down.

I used to play around with the 169-grain gas-check bullet in my '06; 20 grains of 2400 gives around 1,800 ft/sec. Pretty accurate, fun plinker; near .30-30 so far as hunting.

And cheep, cheep, cheep!

FWIW, Art

Whew! Art, when you load down, you load down!

RCBS is FINE for most rifle reloading. Dillon, however, is GREAT! LOVE the Dillon 550! You can crank out .223 just as fast as .45 acp, and get sub-inch groups. We were getting great accuracy on the 550 with unmatched cases, thrown charges, completely progresssively loaded flat-based bullets in .30-06. When you can shoot an inch with that combo, your progessive reloader has the stuff. Great warranty.

My idea of a perfect rifle battery: #1. Ruger 10/22 bull bbl. with a BSA 2.5X10X42 [squirel sniper deluxe] #2. Remington 700vs [MATTE} IN 308-WIN with a Weaver v-16 & Harris bi-pod. #3. A sporter weight m-70 or 700 in 223-rem with same scope as the 10/22. #4. A 300 win-mag in a 700 target configuration to get at those hard to reach spots and topped with something that will go up to 24x. #5. {personal preferance} A 35 WHELEN built on a slicked up 98 mauser action in a sporter stock and a straight power 4x40 scope. {it has all the romp & stomp of a 338 without the recoil} #6. A Marlin lever gun in 45/70 just because!!! Those are just my picks but everyone's choice is different. Thats why they make so many ones to choose from.

Back