Long range revolver shooting

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I've been reading Elmer Keith's "Hell, I Was There" and "Keith on Sixguns" recently and of course, I decided to try some long range revolver shooting. Last week at the range, I took some clay pigeons some one had missed and left on the range and put them in a row on the berm 150 yds downrange. (Wasn't I hopeful?) I've got a pair of S&W 29's and that's what I used. I sat on the shooting bench and braced the revolvers on a sandbag. I didn't hit the four inch targets but I sure made them nervous. I had dirt jumping all around them. I partially covered three of them with dirt from near misses and totally covered one of them. I think I could hit a coffee can without much problem on a regular basis. I'll let y'all know when I try it.

Spartacus,
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but next time try sitting on the ground with your knees up, and brace your arms against the top of your thighs and rest your back against something solid. This is how Elmer fired at an old outhouse 600 yards away. I envey you folks that have the facilities to shoot handguns at 100-150 yards or more.My range limits handguns to the 50 yard range. I've tried the above technique at 50 yards w/.22 Ruger and a Buckmark shooting at empty 12 ga shells. I can hit them more often this way than I can using a rest. I found it a lot easier to walk the rounds onto the target doing this.
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Elmer is cool!

What a cultural icon he is! If only gunwriters today had half the color of old Elmer everybody would be pro gun!

Back