Long range musings......

HShack

I read somewhere that most rifles chambered for the 6.5/.284 are built on a long action so as to be able to use the really long hi BC bullets. [The cartridge was designed to be used in a short action].

If the above makes sense, then why doesn't it make sense with the .260 Rem.? In Savage's Long Range Hunter, the 6.5/284 is on the long action, whereas the .260 is on the short one.

I want to be able to seat the bullet out far enough to use all the cartridge powder capacity, but still fit the magazine.

On my build, I am locked in to the short action, but can the barrel chamber be reamed with a long throat to accept a long bullet?

When you order a barrel, do you get it reamed for your cartridge?

All advice welcome.

On my build, I am locked in to the short action, but can the barrel chamber be reamed with a long throat to accept a long bullet?
Whatever still fits in your magazine. If you're loading and shooting 1 at a time, you can go even longer... if need be.
When you order a barrel, do you get it reamed for your cartridge?
No. They have no way of knowing the actual dimensions of your action/bolt relationship without having it in hand, so... the action and bolt are required to get an exact fit with no bind or play. Dependent on the cartridge, the gunsmith will use a dummy, or a go/no go gauge set.
Consult a barrel maker/gunsmith as to the chamber and throat required for the longest loaded round you intend to use.

Cheers,
C

You can certainly buy complete, chambered, "Pre-fit" barrels for Savage actions. There are quite a number of respected sellers and those barrels can certainly be capable of accuracy beyond most shooters capabilities. I just ordered one myself, chambered in 243AI, from McGowen.

Long range musings......

If the above makes sense, then why doesn't it make sense with the .260 Rem.?

It does if you are custom building one. Of course, the factory offerings are going to be SA just like the .308 parent cartridge. My hunting buddy built his .260AI on a mauser action. He could take very heavy bullets seated very shallow that my .260 Reminton couldn't even fit by dropping into the chamber - much less trying to fit into the magazine well.

You need to do a search on the 6.5x284 Norma on a long action vs the 6.5x284 on short action and throating is different. Nolser the only one with 6.5x284 Norma loading data.

When you order barrel need to tell them which one your doing.

It's a 700 short Rem, not a Savage

Sorry, forgot to put that in my post. See my other post- "My first build".

I have access to a gunsmith/competitive shooter; looks like I will need to provide a barrel and a reamer along with my action.

By the way, he is looking for reasonably priced Rem. 700 actions [long and short].

Does anyone know the longest a cartridge can be in a Rem. 700 short action, [.260 Rem] Not magazine length, but to eject an un-fired cartridge. I think a single shot would be OK.

You can certainly custom order a barrel, custom-reamed to a specific VLD bullet and ogive loaded length if you so choose..
And many very serious shooters do so.

My first attempts at a handload for my .260 Remington Model 7 were at 2.830. The bolt wouldn't close at that length. After seating the bullets down to an OAL of 2.800, the bolt closes nicely.

"I can seat the longest bullets in my .260 magazine so I am not sure why I would want a long action. "

Are your bullets seated to the cannalure or are they seated to where the big diameter of the boat tail is even with the rear of the case neck [for max case capacity]?

I am getting the reciever today, so should be able to take some measurements. I guess the .260 will seat out the same as a .308.....

No cannalure on the bullets I use ( Berger VLDs and SMKs). I am seating 0.020 off the lands and the mag length is the same as my lands measurement. My OALs are 2.90 and 2.85

Back