Long range caliber

ESain

Inactive
Any opinions on long range shooting calibers? I'm wanting to find a caliber I can shoot 500+ yards

What's your budget?

Consider your lifetime expense of an oddball round. 308 would be a very good choice.

Once you develop your drop table, caliber is not as important as your ability to shoot.

500 yards isn't long range, most any center fire round can be used. The 308 is a good traditional choice for target shooting at moderate 200-700 yards. But the 6.5 Creedmoor is proving to be a slightly better option with reduced recoil compared to 308. At 500 the 223 is another option to consider, but it would be between 308 and the 6.5 Creedmoor for me.

Given your 500 yard parameter and assuming it's for informal target use, I would suggest (ranked in order by cost per round, least to greatest)...

1. 223 with 1:9 twist barrel
2. 308 with 1:10 twist
3. 6.5 CM witth 1:8 twist

When you say 500+... Do you mean 5-600 yards or possibly out to 1,000? If you are looking to practice enough for 1,000 make sure you have a high ballistic coefficient bullet available. The 6.5 has some very good BC bullets. As does the 338. Heavier bullets will buck wind better, but they increase recoil as well. If you are not exceeding 600 yards any cartridge .223 on up will work.
If you don't already hand load ammo you should consider starting. You can increase accuracy, reduce cost, and have a larger selection of bullets.

When you say 500 plus, do you mean for target shooting? That'll depend on the kind of target shooting, but .223 will do. Isn't the best, but it is used. A .308 is way better.
Under normal circumstances, hunting shots at those distances are not a good idea. Usually, there's not enough remaining energy. And it takes a lot more skill to hit the fabled 9" pie plate.
And like jmr40 says, 500 is long, short range. Long range starts at 600. As daft as that sounds. Target bulls get bigger at 600.

500-1000 yards. I have a .223 it's just not as accurate as I would like. My budget is $1500. I've been looking at a savage 6.5 creedmoor

> I use the 6.5x55 SE

Old skool is kool!

The 6.5x55 has been showing 'em how it's done since 1894.

long raange caliber

This is a popular proposition here

World record for 1,000 yard shoot , for a long timewas .30-.378 Wby in 30 inch or 32 inch cut rifled barrel.
I can't think of the name of the range right now, but In Gaa there is a range that has 1,000 shoots and 1 mile shoots. Fifty caliber Browning, in Barret, bolt and auto and others.

Once past 300, it helps to know your trajectory and have a laser range finder if you're hunting. On paper at known ranges, life is much easier.

To only 500, an '06 is as good as anything else--and many others are equally good. Farther out, a precision rifle becomes more important, and likely works better with tailored handloads.

Well I dont have anywhere to shoot 1000 yards but I did set up a AR10 in 308 to reach over 1000 yards. But I use 175 grain or 178 grain round. I have only shot it out to 300 yards. But when I was asking around about long range people were big on 3006. One day when or if I ever have the cash a 50 caliber will be in my safe set up for at least 1 mile shot.;)

old roper noted:

I believe several people, including Dale Arenson, Lee Rasmussen, and Shirley and Martin List, have shot a sub-2 inch groups at worlds using a .50 BMG.

Also take a look at the Cheytac in the .375 or 408. A more expensive round than the .50 believe it or not, has some pretty impressive sub MOA stats.

The ballistic coefficient of a .50 BMG in a match grade round, is typically 1.0 or better, about 50% better than that of a .308 or .338 LM.

Out to 1000 yards I love my Savage model 12 in 223. 9 twist, 26" heavy barrel. One can shoot his gun all day long.....kind of like shooting a pellet gun.

1000-2000 yards I really like my Rem 700 LR in 7mm Rem Mag.

Back