Long range 30-06 Deer rifle...

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Here's the deal. Best hunting buddy says he's received some proposed changes to the crop damage rules for next year and we should be able to use rifles to take a number of does. This is a shotgun area and rifles are not Kosher at present.

Haven't owned a long range rifle for some years, but now it looks like I need one. So, I'm in the market for a good rifle that's accurate up to or past 300 yards, affordable, and available. No custom stuff, tho if I hit the Lottery Gale McMillan will be hearing from me PDQ(G).

Parameters:
Trigger capable of good work, preferably adjusted SAFELY down to 2 1/2 lbs and clean.

Bolt action, free floated bbl, synthetic stock, and while not an ultra light weight suitable for toting by a 50ish guy in less than perfect condition.

30-06 only, I've plenty of confidence in it and while not handloading at present, have several good loads developed in the past. I'll probably use Premium ammo, 165 gr.

Scope will be the Leopold 3.5x10X, I had one and was impressed.

BTW, used to do Light Sporter class Benchrest, and do know how to shoot pretty well.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations...

There are, of course, a lot of answers to your needs, but I'd probably look into this one, first. Factory trigger is pretty good, will take adjustment, and it's free-floated. http://www.remington.com/FIREARMS/centerfire/700bdlss.htm

The ADL version in blue will be significantly less expensive, but should shoot every bit as accurately:
http://www.remington.com/FIREARMS/centerfire/700adsyn.htm

Best,
L.P.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited January 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited January 22, 2000).]

Would be hard to beat the Rem. 700, but unless you plan on doing a lot of walking, would opt for the heavier barrel version and frankly would opt for the 308 and like you said, use the 165 bullet and you will not suffer any killing power at ranges out to 300 yds with the 308 and it will not kick your teeth out either. I would question shooting game, other than varmints, much past the 300 yd mark simply for the humane factor. If you are skilled marksman and can repeatedly place your hits in a vital area, go for it. Not a thing wrong with the '06 for it remains one of the finest calibers ever, but the recoil is a bit stout and you can use the 308 in a short action, less bulk and weight overall. You could not pick a better optics than the Leupold. Just a few of my humble opinions.

I like the ruger m77 and depending on what your flavor is, either blued with wood or stainless/synthetic in either te 3006 or the 308 I like em both....they come with integral mounts and wont kill ya to carry. Since your a reloader/benchrester you can really fine tune these rifles to be superb over and above there factory accuracy. I stick with them because I like the full claw extractor.....jmo....good hunting...fubsy.

I think a Tikka 695 would be an excellent choice. These rifles are manufactured by Sako on the same lines as their more expensive rifles. Out of the box, they have an adjustable trigger set at a crisp 2.5lb, a free-floated barrel and a match grade chamber. Mine shoots 100yd 3 shot groups into 1/2" all day. One should set you back less than $500, which is a bargain by any measure.

Thanks for the input, one and all. As for the 308, I've nothing against it, BUT....
I do want an '06. While the advantage in velocity is more theoretical than real, I just prefer the older round and am willing to live with a long action. My second '06 was a reworked 17 Enfield, so long actions and I aren't strangers...

My last '06 was a Remington Stainless Synthetic Mountain Rifle with a 3.5x10X leopold adorning it. I bought it slightly used,and was told the prior owner had set it up, sighted in ,and then was told by his doctor that his heart was in poor shape. HE traded it in for a Browning trap gun and I beat everyone else to it in the shop. Accuracy was only so-so until I glassbedded and free floated, then it turned into WonderRifle. Groups ran about an inch @100 off the sandbags if I did my part.BTW, ammo was the Winchester 165 gr extended range, and it also worked fine with my old handloads, including one strange one, using the 170 gr Nosler solid base bullet intended for the 30-30.

However, I was hunting shotgun areas loaded with deer and lent that rifle to a good buddy, the kind of guy you trust with your woman, your pickup truck and your life. He took two deer with it in the first hour of the season, and whined and begged until I sold him the piece.We're still friends(G)...

Right now I'm leaning towards another Remington, tho if I ran across another pre 64 Model 70,at a bargain price, I'd have to consider that,too.

Pbash, I'm sure the Tikka is a fine weapon, but all the weapons here at Casa McC say "Made in the USA" on them. Just a bias of my onery and stubborn personality...

The weapon you describe is the Remington Sendero. I feel that this will accomlish all of you needs, and never let you down.

Be Safe
Mike

One, the only problem I see with the Sendero is the weight, how much more does all that bbl steel penalize me? I will have to carry this thing some, and like I said, I'm 53 and not in factory new condition.

Also, is the Sendero available in 30-06? The ones I've seen have been 7mm and 300 Mags.

Dave McC,

Though I am not One, I can answer your questions about the sendero. It comes in 25-06, .270, 7mm mag, and 300 mag. It weighs 9lbs empty. Have a nice hunt.

While I am waiting for your order I would recommend a 700 BDL in 270. It is the ultimate deer rifle.. I have a friend in England that I hunt with who has taken over 3000 deer with a 270 and 130 gr bullet and could use anything he would like and stays with the 270.. The deer range from 50 pound Roe to 500 lb Red Stags and it fills the bill for all.

Thanks,Ldoll. Since I'm being onery and stubborn about the caliber, it looks like the Sendero is not the answer.

Gale, it sounds like the Remington has the nod, but while I have no problems with the 270, I'm still interestd in the 06. Been shooting them for close to 40 years,from a coupla Springfields and Enfields to a Model 70 made the year I was born to that last 700.
Did use a borrowed 270 decades ago to take my one and only desert Mulie, maybe 275 yards and DRT.
Besides, I've all my old load data, and if I decide to start reloading again, half my work is done already.

Dave McC-

Why don't you get another Remington Stainless Mountain Rifle in .30-06? This is the rifle you are REALLY looking for anyway. It is also the rifle I would recommend to you right down to the scope... Annoy your buddy by having yours "accurized" by a smith and continue to outshoot him...

Tired of Remington? Into the Pre '64s? Have you seen one of the new Winchester LTs? That new stock design is subtle but it really fits and is a naturally smooth pointer... Decellerator pad too. Wood stock though... Hard to find them... A heavier but ever so beautiful Winchester Super Grade with the latest "picture frame" trigger guard/mag box assembly...? .270 or .30-06 made in USA. Free float and trigger tune mandatory. Remember the Pre '64 stock design is wanting a bit for scope use...

The stainless regular weight .30-06 M-700 is 7 3/8 lbs, while the stainless fluted Sendero is 8.5 pounds. That extra pound is heavier than you might think, because it's all 'wayyyy out there on that 26" barrel. I personally LOVE my Sendero, but this is not the rifle for you. Also, it doesn't come in .30-06, if I remember correctly. (Just checked. It doesn't.)

I've read great things about the Winchester lightweight rifles, and I really admire the Browning lightweights, but I have to say that I am completely down on the M-77 Mk II that Ruger puts out, in any configuration. Why? Because they have a non-adjustable trigger, which is set for a tort-avoiding, gritty, 6 lbs +! Yuk! This means that after you've bought your $450 rifle, you get to go out and pay $65-$180 on an adjustable trigger group like a Timney, Canjar, or Jewell. No thanks. You've had good luck with a Remington Mountain rifle before... why not do it again? I personally covet them, though every one that I've heard about had to be glass-bedded before it really began to perform.

Thanks, guys,just got off the phone to Guns R Us,a gun shop I've been doing business with for the last couple of decades. The maven tells me the Stainless Synthetic has been discontinued, since he can't find it in the catalog. He does happen to have a blue steel Mountain Rifle for a mere $449, and a Leopold for about the same. Hope I can find a used one, I'm retired and Daughter's in college.

Back