long gun transfer

Uncle Ben

I posted this in the shotgun forum, but realized I probably should have posted it here since it is "legal". Anyway...

In most states (even in California), you are not required to register shotguns, or long guns in general. If a family member is giving you a long gun and they DO NOT have it registered, why go through any type of transfer at all (other than from his hands to mine :-)???

Is there still a legal requirement to do a proper transfer?

If the answer to the above question is "no", then what if the "giver" is out of state (still family) and the gun will fly along with him in checked bagage. Again, an FFL would not be needed, so would I still have to do a legal transfer for an already un-registered long gun?

By the way, I have read the CA law, but maybe not good enough cause I don't see my answers in there...

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

IMHO YMMV I would not even act like i had it... I understand that the "gifts" junior has in my name don't need anything other than a bill of sale/gift now that he is 18 to protect myself. We ain't gonna do anything about them until he moves out as I have me a bit of leverage... "MUCK UP ONE TIME BOY AND I OWN THEM" goes a long way! we have the same name with the exception of Sr. vs Jr.
Brent

ANY transfers across state lines MUST be made using a FFL. The only exception is when a firearm is bequeathed to someone. Your family member may bring the gun to CA, but you must go to a gun shop and have a FFL do the transfer to be legal.

So then would you say that for transfers WITHIN the state, an FFL transfer is NOT needed for long guns that are currently NOT registered?

Thank you!

That I do not know. Depends on California law. Under federal law, you merely take physical possession of the firearm and that is it. No paperwork, registration, FFL or anything else.

Uncle Ben said:
I posted this in the shotgun forum, but realized I probably should have posted it here since it is "legal". Anyway...

In most states (even in California), you are not required to register shotguns, or long guns in general. If a family member is giving you a long gun and they DO NOT have it registered, why go through any type of transfer at all (other than from his hands to mine :-)???

In California, all firearms transfers must be processed through a dealer. There are a few exceptions, one of which is an intrafamilial transfer. However, the transfer can only be made between parents/children, grandparents/grandchildren, or spouses. Any other transfers between family members must be made through a California dealer.

There is no reporting requirement for intrafamilial transfers of rifles or shotguns. Handgun transfers must be reported to the State Dept of Justice and a $19.00 fee paid.

Any transfers from out of state must be processed by a California dealer, per Federal law.

Back