Long Arm xfer in Massachusetts

tbinder

My very good friend lives in MA has Multiple Sclerosis and can no longer shoot. I live in NJ. He called and wanted to sell me his Remmington 870 and Ruger 77 along with some other long arms to help pay his mounting medical bills. I drove up last week, stopped at the local police station to pick up a stack of transfer forms (hey NJ requires them so I figured MA had xfer forms too) and the officer said "don't you know, you can only privately transfer 4 firearms a year?" I read the Form 10, saw that statement AND then read residents can only transfer between residents, non residents need to go through a FFL.

He was my best friend in high school and is really in a tight financial spot. He is too proud to take a handout so I wanted to help him by paying "top dollar" for his small collection. He is house bound and cannot go to a gun shop so I am at a loss how I can comply with MA law and help out my friend financially. I have a C&R FFL but none of the long arms are in that category.

Can any of you provide me with some sound advice? Thanks.

Transfer through a FFL. I believe you can do it at a local shop to save shipping charges. By going through the FFL it isn't considered a private sale I don't believe.

If they were handguns they would have to be shipped.

Back