Long Arm Reg

kx592

I have an interesting question that im curious to seek an answer to. If someone acquired a long arm that has not been registered for years and cannot be tracked back to the original register e, can that long arm be registered to the current possessor? So there is no two parties involved other than the current possessor of the arm and a FFL to register it?

There is no federal gun registration (I know), especially on pre-owned firearms that do not go through a FFL. Does your state have a gun registration/"safety inspection" scheme? If not, there is no way to register it.

I understand that there is a voluntary reg in my state, question is how would I register it (crazy I know) without a transfere?

You would have to familiarize yourself with your state's firearms laws or ask a FFL about the procedure. The latter option, though, may be hit or miss. Is there a firearms group that has a forum for your state?

Unless it's mandatory, I would not do it. The authorities have better things to do than to register granddad's deer rifle, or whatever you have, and you will spend a bunch of time explaining yourself to bureaucrats.

Count me in the "Why would you WANT to register a firearm?" camp. If the law doesn't require it, I can think of no logical reason to do so.

Back