Lonesome Dove

Kenskip1

Inactive
Hello fellow B/P enthusiasts. I was wondering about the movie Lonesome Dove.The pistol that Gus whacked the surly bartender with. Can anyone help me identify it? Was the a Colt Dragoon or some other? Was this a black powder or a conventional pistol? Captain tosses Neut, what appears to be a holster with conventional ammo. Am I wrong here?Ken

The Walker was a .44 cap and ball. The one Gus used in the movie was converted to a .45 Colt cartridge. It's unlikely any real Walkers were ever converted tho just about everything else was.

When this movie was made was this pistol a B/P pistol? I am aware that you can modify almost anything, but I am having a difficult time understanding this.I did not notice any spare cartridges on his holster, so I assumed that this was a BP pistol.Am I korrect, Thanks for the replies, Ken

The time frame in the movie would probably have been the early 1870's. Cap and balls were first converted to cartridge in 1873. The gun in the movie is a conversion. They were all bp pistols in 1873 including the ones that used cartridges. Course we all know Hollywood wouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story. As I said before it's unlikely any Walkers were ever converted to cartridge.

"I can't abide a surly bartender" :D :D :D

Getting hit in the head with a Colt Walker would be like being hit with a sledgehammer. They're about the same size.

If you could get your hands on a real Colt Walker, you would be fixed for life. I think the sale price on the last one I heard about was $250k.

Michael

gusgun.jpeg

Here is a pic of his gunbelt. You will notice that you never see Gus loading it in the movie. No cartridges here.

The book only refers to it as a "dragoon" or "big old Colt", but it would be as likely that he would have a Walker as anything else. The book also mentions Woodrow Call's .44 Henry rifle on several occasions.

http://www.library.txstate.edu/swwc/ld/ldexhibit.html

Here is a pic of his gunbelt. You will notice that you never see Gus loading it in the movie. No cartridges here.

The book only refers to it as a "dragoon" or "big old Colt", but it would be as likely that he would have a Walker as anything else. The book also mentions Woodrow Call's .44 Henry rifle on several occasions.

It was in fact a reproduction Colt Walker converted to .38 Cartridge by J.E. Gren. It was auctioned off awhile back but the auction page is no longer available.

I had heard the same thing (converted to 38 spl), although I didn't know they auctioned it off. My intention was only to show that in the plot, the gun is still a non-converted firearm. Sorry for any confustion.

There are some good pictures on that online exhibit link if you're a big fan of the book and/or miniseries.

Back