LOL@me

Eghad

I am going to my first Cowboy Action shoot on July 1. I had purchased a Uberti replica of the 1873 Winchester with a 24" barrel. I went to the range and shot My Colt AR-15 H Bar for about 80 or so rounds. It was getting hot so I wanted to check out how my rounds were impacting with the Uberti rifle. I loaded 5 in the magazine, loaded a round in the chamber and pulled the trigger. I hear something like phhhttt, no recoil at all and I thought the round had not gone off.This being a not so cheap rifle I was like what the hezzeee:confused: for about 15 seconds. I opened the chamber and lo and behold an empty case came out..lol. I now understand the why they call them mouse farts. It felt like I was dry firing the rifle...lol. These were Winchester factory Cowboy loads. My AR 15 had more recoil...lol.

Thats pretty scary stuff, I hope you made sure the bullet isnt stuck in the barrel. Those loads should still be going around 900fps out of that rifle.

They are...its just with the hearing protection its sound is reduced and the weight of the 24" barrel there isnt any recoil. No it wasnt stuck in the barrel because there was a hole in the target...lol that was the second thing I checked.

I now understand the why they call them mouse farts.
Yep - pretty tame stuff on the backend.

OTOH - those big old .45" holes downrange make quite an impression.

I use Cowboy loads in my Winchester Trapper for home D.
The deadsoft lead 255 gr slugs with a generous meplat are darn near perfect at 18" barrel velocites for close range.

If you get a chance @ some point, put a few rounds into some mud then dig them out. They perform very well.

Back