loft find old musket

franky

Inactive
found this old thing rolled up in 1900 newspapers under a rug in the loft - its knackered & worthless?.....before i chuck it in the wheelie bin anyone know what it is?

measures 51 inches in length and has a 5/8th inch calibre - fine engraving to the flintplate - cannot see any makers details.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 138
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 113
Pretty buggered up. But could be a CW rifled musket. Don't throw away, might be restorable or good for parts. Wall hanger at worst.

Has a sort of North African look to the stock.

The pictures are horrible, of course, but I think what you have is a flintlock action converted to percussion cap.

Lots of obsolete rifles and parts were sold to underdeveloped counteries, this is probably one of them.

If I were to look at my Golden State Arms catalog from the 50's, I would probably see one of those.

Don't toss it, it will make a great wall hanger.

I would never attempt to shoot one of those, the metallurgy is stone age.

It's not like any CW gun I've ever seen - more like a gun cobbled together, as for the African Trade (pre-CW slave trade).

Caplocks are post 1840, AFAIK - prior to that, there were only flintlocks (and older matchlocks, of course).

Dig a little deeper for information. While you dig, think about alternatives other than the dumpster.

If its inoperable and you have a fireplace, stand it in the corner.

Who knows...maybe some smash and grab intruder might see your front loader and have visions of Boone's 'Ticklicker' or Crocket's 'Betsy', and leave your home movie DVD center alone. Call it 'bait'.

salty

I agree that it was very likely a flintlock converted to percussion.

The stock is also very likely a home replacement job.

My bet?

It came from Fancis Bannerman and was obsolete European military.

Hello PetahW

AFAIK, "binmen" usually work in Great Britain and/or Australia/NZ.

That's what I was thinking,,,
Great Britain anyways.

When we encouraged him to keep it,,,
Have we also encouraged him to commit a heinous felony?

After all,,,
This is the country that called out a SWAT team,,,
When someone found a live .22 cartridge in a London street.

I mean he could repair the stock,,,
Make the buggered lock-work function,,,
Buy a chemistry set and create some caps and black powder,,,
Oh My Gawd, all he would need then is some wheel weights to overthrow the government.

Perhaps we should rethink our suggestions,,,
Before we get this poor fellow locked away for life.

Aarond

graham......you're right....i could now be in big trouble......if this is a section one firearm then ownership without licence can carry a life sentence.....

ooops......cos the offence of aid and abet in a indictable offence also carries an extradition permittance between the uk & usa....and everyone on this forum is registered.....

oh dear......guess we all need to start popping down to the gym and bulking up to impress our cell mate to be....;)

thats the bad news.....the good news....its classed as a decorative antiquity per sec 2 of the firearms act 1968....

phew....cancel those bull steroids....;)

Back