Locking up in NYC? (Gun safe)

Leo3

Inactive
Hey everyone, this forum seems like a knowledgeable bunch of folks, so I wanted to ask you all about storage and safes to keep your weapons in. How do you decide what kind of storage you want to use? How much money should I pay for a gun safe?

Let me give a bit of background information. I'm not what some liberals would call a “gun nut” - although I have nothing against firearms enthusiasts at all. In fact, it was the recent uptick of crime and attacks in my area that finally made me “bite the bullet” and purchase myslef a Glock. It isn't anything fancy or rare, but I have to admit that it is a fine, functional thing – holds good, shoots good. I like it. Anyway, I realized that if the Obama administration gets their way, it might become much harder for me to protect myself and my family. So I did it now.

The thing is, I've got some valuables in my home that I want to secure, and I don't think a handgun safe is going to cut it. So I was thinking of getting a bigger, proper safe. Work requires me to travel a lot, and I'm going to be in New York City next week. Since I have a sturdy, strong truck I figured that I might as well buy a safe there – in such a big city, people will definitely want to lock up their valuables and the competition should be pretty high between locksmiths and safe retailers. Overall it should provide a good deal, you know? After a Google search I found a place called Precision Lock and Safe, which seems quite legitimate and reputable. Your input would be much appreciated, though.

Since I have very little knowledge of and experience with safes, I thought maybe asking people here would be a good idea before going and purchasing something that might set me back several thousand dollars. Should I get a safe with a keypad or a dial? I need to store paper documents that have both financial, sentimental, and legal value – I'm assuming that I should invest extra on a fireproof safe? Our family home is pretty small, so I'd have to buy a pretty compact safe, too, but I definitely don't want one that could be carried away... Maybe it would be best to install a wall safe?

Anyway, thanks for reading this loooong text, I didn't mean to make it so long. Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Last edited:
If I had to do it over again or upgrade I would personally get a safe that take two people to move and even then grunting and groaning. I think my safe is 150 pounds empty and takes some effort for one person to move. It is a 10 gun safe which seems like a fictional number since it's a hard fit.

So I would recommend a 14 gun safe with a combination lock. Fire proof or resistance seems to be gained by companies adding gypsom board to the walls. That's something anyone can do themselves if they want. You can also buy a fireproof box and store your papers in that inside the safe.

There are various levels of fireproofing, and I believe they all have special seals, where as a non fireproof safe will just have rubber.

If you want it fire proof, spend the money on a certification to fit your needs. For paper documents, a UL 350 certification will garantee the internal temperature will not rise above 350 degrees during the certified time. If you only need to store 1 handgun, dont bother with a gun safe, just get a standard safe with enough capacity for everything else you need. Heavier is better, but I am of the mindset that any safe you keep valuables in should be bolted down.

A quick search showed several UL350 1 hour safes for $400-$600

Back