• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Locked Up Topic

tyro

I wonder why a topic like Birdshot for Home Defense is locked up just because it has been so popular a topic in the past. I tried searching that topic, as suggested by Erick, but all I got on the subject on the first page was the latest locked up thread. I never tire of reading threads which are of interest (no matter how much it may have been discussed in the past), but searching really is tiring when the search engine brings up so much that is not related and so little that is looked for. Sort of like looking for a needle in a haystack - an exaggeration of course.........

Erick,

That makes sense. However, I do hope you will allow popular and *important* old topics to become current again after *some* period of time, because newcomers are not likely to find much (if anything) by means of searching archives (I'm no longer a newcomer, but I find that is still true for me). There is so much to be read on the Internet that I bearly have time to read current postings, let alone tackle the frustrating challenge of trying to find a partular topic in the archives - which isn't as easy as it seems in theory or should be in practice. If there were not people interested in re-considering, or in the case of newcomers considering for the first time, a topic, then the thread would simply die for lack of fresh posting. The postings indicate interest, and for each person who posts, there are many, many, more of us who are interested in reading the postings. For any who are tired of, or disinterested in, such postings, it is far easier for them to simply skip the thread than for those of us who are interested in re-considering a topic to find old threads in the archives.

I do appreciate having a moderator to keep the forum free from inappropriate postings and topics. And I appreciate your response to my disappointment in having the Birdshot for Home Defense thread locked up.

Back