Lock n Load AP Powder Measure Dents Cases

Swifty Morgan

My Hornady Lock-n-Load AP occasionally dents cases because they don't line up with the powder measure. The timing works out correctly nearly all the time, but sometimes the shell plate doesn't advance quite far enough. It's like the spindle is stiff. The problem only occurs on the upstroke.

Before I take it apart and clean it out and do deburring and lubing, I thought I should post something here to see if people have recommendations.

I suppose if the right pawl isn't adjusted correctly, it might not always push the ratchet far enough to get a solid registration on the detents.

you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble by just calling the Horndy at 1 (800) 338-3220. When I bought my AP I made a lot of newbie mistakes and used the CS several times. Each and every time a knowledgeable CS helped me though and within a few minutes I was making ammo.

Certainly sounds like a small adjustment of the right-hand pawl is in order. Try turning the set screw counterclockwise a bit (1/8 turn or so). That will raise the pawl up a small amount, allowing it to rotate the shell plate a little bit further.

Back