Loch Ness monster sighting...

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
It's my day off today, and the phone just rang. The caller ID said "MONTAGUE GUNSM". Cripes! What possible tragedy couldn't have waited til tomorrow? A sudden affliction of Protestant Work Ethic caused me to answer it anyhow.

"Tam? I didn't want to bug you at home, but The Elusive Thing just showed up".

"My Mateba? Impossible, it doesn't exist except in blurry black and white photos in the CDNN sales circular, kind of like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness monster".

"Well, it is a box from CDNN, and we aren't expecting anything else from them right now".

"I'll be right over, make sure it doesn't vanish or turn out to be swamp gas or a weather balloon".

Photos and range report of 6" .357 Mateba to follow... :D

I saw one of those things used in the new show "Alias" that airs on Sunday nights.

My comment: Wow...they have some exotic weaponry for a Hollyweird production!

It'll be interesting to hear how the world's newest semi-auto revolver performs. I've yet to see a single one "in the flesh"...

I have seen it and got to hold it and got to put fingerprints on it! It is purrrrty (in a kinky sort of way)!

It's in the house!

Beautiful blueing, nice workmanship and fit and finish, and way funky.

Took it to the range today, but the only ammo on hand was Remington 110gr JHP's and the nearest targets were 8.5x11" sheets hanging on the 50 yard stand. Need to take it to the indoor pistol range for some proper sighting-in, hopefully in the next day or two.

Shoots real nice, tho... :)

mateba.jpg

The word 'funky' hardly does that thing justice. :)

Can you do another couple of shots with a little more lighting so that we can see the detail of the cylinder release, cylinder, hammer, etc.?

Tamara, to get a photo that is not as dark and will show more detail, put the gun on a darker surface (medium blue bath towels work great).
The white paper backround in your photo is throwing off the camera's light meter.

griz, actually, it's a low-mounted barrel.
IIRC, the firing chamber is the one at the bottom of the revolution, not the top like we are used to.
The lower bore-hand axis will reduce muzzleflip and direct more energy straight back (which will help avoid mis-cycles due to limpwristing).

I'm not so hot on the looks of the piece, but I'd love to shoot it and see what it's like.

-Kframe

Actually, that "photo" was created by laying the Mateba on a flatbed scanner with a sheet of typing paper atop it and scanning it in.

Will break out the Mavica and see if I can do better. :)

Maybe I confused the issue with a poorly worded question. I can tell it has a barrel that fires from the bottom of the cylinder. What I’m wondering is does it have less muzzle rise than a conventional revolver? In other words, does it’s shootability make up for it’s, well to be nice, homely appearance. Sorry Tamara, I don’t like to talk bad about anyone’s new toys. It’s just pretty far outside what I am used to.

TAMARA! THERE IS ANOTHER WAY!

In 1998 I was driving through the Highlands of Scotland near Loch Ness. I stopped at the Glenfarckas distillery where I bought a bottle of their cask strength single malt whisky. An earnest young woman asked the sales clerk "I want to see the Loch Ness momster. How can I do that?
He smiled at her and said
'Well lass, just drink enough good malt whisky and you will surely see it!":D

Piece of medium blue or grey paper on top of the item being scanned helps. Or a towell or shirt or whatever.

If it be fit ta sip, tis spelled whusky.

Sam

Wow...I think I'm in love. :) That Mateba looks awesome...I'm gonna have to try to find one of those somewhere to handle (aka, find an excuse to buy).

Back