Local Range Has an excellent F-Class subcatagory

Stats Shooter

So one of my local ranges has an excellent entry level F-class subcatagory.
It is called F-Class Production Rifle.
The General open F Class rules apply with the following exceptions:
-You must use an unmodified production rifle
-It must maintain the factory barrel, stock, trigger, action etc.
- The factory stock can be bedded and trigger polished
-Must be a mass produced rifle, no small shop custom builds
-can use an AR but it must be an off the shelf complete rifle

In other words, just put a scope and bipod on it and go to work.

i think this is a great inexpensive way to get more shooters involved.It seems like the open F-Class is a high budget arms race pricing many potential shooters out of competition. But this PR class, if it catches on, could make someone with a ruger precision rifle and solid scope competitive.
forgive me please if there was another thread detailing this but i never saw one.

Last edited:
Sounds vague to me...
How is "production rifle" defined?
There are plenty of mid-size shops that turn out high-end rifles that are available off-the-shelf.
And rifles like the Savage 110FCP and the newer Ruger (among others) have always been competitive-it's always been more about the individual driving the rifle than the rifle itself to a large degree.

Yes,
The description is a bit vague. But as I said, they define a production rifle as an "off the shelf" rifle with no customization. No, special order rifles. Basically something you can buy at Cabela's, or something. Sure you can come up with a loophole, and since it is a rage specific subcategory they can do as they wish. But the spirit of the contest is that guys can complete using a Ruger precision rifle, or savage TR, or their favorite Winchester Model 70 and have fun

This is the rules

F-Class (Factory Sporter) If you already have a hunting rifle, this is the best way to try F-Class. Any factory un modified bolt action rifle with stock barrel and action and any sight is acceptable provided it does not have a muzzle brake or compensator. Allowable rests include front and rear bags or bipod. The maximum weight is 12 lbs, with all attachments. Special Target rifles such as Rem 700 Milspec, Browning Target rifle, Remington VTR are not allowed in this class but they are in FTR (above)

I'm not sure tobnpr,
Like I said I do not know every single rule. What I know that the rules are designed so that it custom rifles or rifles built out of bounds for mass production rifles. I'm sure there is some way to game it with a high end rifle made by so and so....but the spirit of the match is for people on a budget to get into the competition.

How about doing it by price?

There are mass produced entry level rifles that would have to compete with mass produced premium rifles.

If you went by cost of the bare rifle say $500 or $1000 it would prevent someones Axis from having to compete with my Cooper MDL 22, which is not a custom rifle, but it is definitely a premium rifle. Sporter? It is chambered in 6.5x284 so it's really good for deer and such. But Model is Montana Varminter. single shot bolt action.

I will be back on the MS coast next spring and this idea interests me. I also have a Vanguard that is quite accurate.

^^
This was the point I was (subtly) trying to make.
Vague "rules" are like no rules at all. "Production", used to mean Ruger, Remington, Savage, Winchester... not any more.

There needs to be MSRP "classes" if the goal is to keep an "apples to apples" competition. I agree it's an interesting and laudable effort to get more into the shooting sports and competition, but "production" rifle leaves the door wide open to just about anything.

Absolutely tobnpr, I agree that a MSRP restriction along with the lighter weight restriction would probably solve any "loophole" attempt. If it were me, I would set the MSRP of the rifle somewhere around $1,000, and it wouldn't matter if you got a "deal" and bought a $1500 rifle for $900, if the MSRP is $1500, you cant use it. Then maybe a$600 price limit on the scope or something. Or you can set a "total package" limit of say $1500 where the MSRP and the Scope combined can cost $1500....so you could get a Ruger American Rifle (MSRP of around $450), and then a $1000 scope.

Either way, I believe this would be best as it would prevent someone from bringing a Barrett .300 win mag ($4,000) to the range and saying "But it is an unmodified production rifle!"

BTW Handlerer2, it is at the 1000 yard range in Laurl Mississippi, which is just north of Hattisberg, so If you are on the coast, you would be about 1.5 hours away from the range...they do an F-class shoot almost monthly

I think there ought to be a shooter's choice match.
If I think your rifle is more accurate than mine, I get to shoot it.

Back