Local Govt Ordinances.

sigcurious

In preparation for the arrival of my permit, I've been finding the local gun laws to make sure there aren't any quirks that leave me unawares. Crap...I found one...

Cook County, prohibits high capacity magazines, anything over 10 rounds. Chicago resides in Cook, in a more recently dated Chicago(not county) ordinance defines high capacity anything over 12 rounds.

I would assume to be on the safe side 10 rounds is the limit. But does anyone know if Cook County updated their ordinances also and I was just looking at an old copy? Or Which jurisdiction takes precedent while you're technically in both?

Unless there is a preemption rule saying that a lower level cannot enact anything stricter than or in conflict with the higher level, the more restrictive would govern.

I thought you were supposed to subtract the lesser from the greater...

You're only allowed a 2-round magazine.

Welcome to Illanoying. Now flee just as quickly as you can...

Unfortunately - I think all the confusing clutter that has accumulated in places like Cook County, Oak Park, Morton Grove, Wilmette etc... (I have not kept track of it all), will only be cleared away by legal action, even after we pass something like HB148, I think there will be lawsuits befire the wacky municipalities comply.

I am NOT a legal expert but I believe I read once upon a time that the Cook Co. AWB only applies to people living in unincorporated cook county and that it is basically uninforced. I am going to dig around a little bit and see if I can find the source material again.

On another note I know of two gun stores in Cook County that I have personally visited that sell weapons and magazines that would violate the Cook Co. AWB.

Sounds like a good reason to carry more magazines. They how many rounds your mag can hold but not how many extra mags you can carry lol

Aguila, Thanks again!

Patriot, the stores may be stocked for LE and patrons from out of county.

Last edited:
Back