Loads too hot for S&W 629?

Field-dressed

As back-up brown bear protection, I just cast and loaded some 310 gr gas checked bullets for my 629, with 23 gr of H4227. They fit in the cylinder with room to spare and shoot well, with no evidence of too much pressure. The book says they go about 1200 fps. They kick like a mule!:eek: Knowing that the S&W frame isn't built to take a lot of abuse, should I limit shooting these monsters to only when I need 'em? I'm thinking of going to a much smaller load for plinking and practice. Thanks for your help.

Knowing that the S&W frame isn't built to take a lot of abuse, should I limit shooting these monsters to only when I need 'em? YES!

The gun was not designed to take that kind of a beating on a regular basis. Also would recommend switching to 2400 powder. The pressure is lower and velocity from a six inch tube is comparable. That load will save your hands, as well as your gun and don't think that a dead brown bear will ever tell the difference. It is also a good base to work up from, should you elect to up the throttle a bit more. Whatever you choose, just use heavy loads sparingly. If you follow the rule of light when plinking, heavy when working, the gun will give a lifetime worth of enjoyment.

Robert

[Edited by Robert the41MagFan on 11-30-2000 at 04:01 AM]

Or you could just use Federal Castcore's [LBT bullet under different name] or Garrett's 310 Hammerhead.

I use the casetcore's in my 4" 629 But I usually just shoot one full load [ie 6 rounds] of the castcore's in the gun at the end of my shooting.

I would also suggest loading one or two empty's in the gun when you shoot the heavy loads...real easy to see if your starting to flinch then.

Yes!

I have had Rugers and Smith & Wessons and can tell you to stick with 2400. I have got meny stock cases using 4227. When shooting a I never go over about 19.0 grains of 2400.

Back