loads of ffg in Rem. 1858?

ackattack

Inactive
Hello, bought ffg of 777. Can I use this in my Rem. 1858? The guys I buy from have been out of Pyrodex for months."Backordered" On past threads I see that the load of 777 is alittle more powerful than others. Any insight? thanks dom.

3fg would definitely be better, but the 2fg will work - just not as well.
There is actually very little difference in grain size with the Triple Se7en powders, so the 2fg might surprise you, but like timothy75 said - 30gr would be a max charge for a 1858.

1858 Rem. Load

The spout on my flask throws 33 grains FFFG black. That was the recomended load that came with my pistol back in the 70's. So that's what I use. For the modern replica powders you'd have to refer to their suggestions. I'm a firm believer in useing Black Powder Only in black powder guns.

Sure you can use FFG 777 in your 58. The pressure curve will be lower than it would be if you were using FFFG so you will get slower velocities from the same charge measured/volume. Don't be afraid of 30-35gr/vol you won't hurt anything. Hodgedons says to duplicate the velocity of a given BP load, to decrease the charge of 777 by 15%. Lets assume that 777 gives you 20% higher velocities, that would be giving velocities equivalent to a charge of 36-42gr/vol of BP. You will get better accuracy from the lower charge weight though, with larger charges, consistency in loading becomes much more important for good accuracy.

Back