Loads for Trap

Hook_N_Bullet

I'm looking for advice on what the right size load is for trap. 1oz or 1 1/8oz?

I bought 500 rounds of 1 1/8 loads that were designated for sporting clays, so I'm not sure they are the right medicine for Trap (at 16 yards).

I use a Beretta Urika 391A (30" Bbl)

I am going to reload, and am not sure which is best.

Thanks!

Dave

I am no expert but I practice with light loads (1 oz.) and compete with standard loads ( 1 1/8 oz) for 16 yards. I generally stick with AA hulls and typically use # 8 shot.

One man's opinion . . .

Most guys use 1oz for the recoil reduction over several rounds of trap. I'm a crappy shot, so I shoot a reloaded 1-1/8oz of #8's in Federal paper basewad shells using Fed 12S3wads & 22.5-23 (???can't remember, but I think that's right) grains of GreenDot.

I've used up the 1 1/8 oz loads a friend made up for me, and bought a MEC 600 as an entry level loader.I've got components for 1 1/8 oz loads and when they're used up, I'll load 1 oz loads for economy more than recoil reduction.

The good folks where I shoot are split on this, but some of the best use 1 oz loads.

Also note that an oz of 8s has very close to the pellet count of 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s. You're not losing a thing from the 16 yard line if you go to 8s in a 1 oz load.

Your sporting clay loads will work just fine for trap. I've used all types of loads ranging from 7/8s to 1-1/8 for trap and shoot one ounce from the 16 and go to 1-1/8 for handicap. #8 for 16 and #7.5 for longer ranges.

trap loads

if you really want to dust some targets use 7/8 oz with a hot load of Clays from the Hodgin Site. Remember our kids in the olympics use 24 gram loads to shoot international trap that is a ****load harder than anything we shoot. I'm sure some mathematician is reading this that can tell you how 24 grams relates to 7/8 but i think it may be less.....Dick

Back