loading smokeless i a .44 cap n ball

woddoe

Inactive
I have a cap and ball Cattleman Uberti .44 replica revolver. I use to load it with 22 grains of black powder for target and 30 for hunting according to the manufacturer specifications. I want to avoid all the dirt black powder makes and I would like to load smokeless powder. What amount of smokeless powder s it safe to load? Thanks guys.

What amount of smokeless powder s it safe to load?

NONE- you WILL blow your hand off!!!

if you want cleaner go with pyrodex, triple seven or some other subsitiute. not as clean as smokeless but cleaner.

but hey, it's your hand.

Never use smokeless powder into a black powder gun. Learn how to write before with the other hand if you do it.

Hasta pronto

Last edited:
Dont even think about it...Besides, in my opinion, strippin em down to the last screw, cleanin, inspecting, and learnin about em is quite a blast for me, although I know a lotta people think strippin em down all the time is a hassle..Gives me time to study em more....but..thats just MHO!!

Some folks are hard-headed and will go ahead and do things others have worned them against...hopfully not you. BUT if it is you, do the world at large a favore and get far away from other people who might be damaged by the experience (either physically damaged by bits of steel or psycologially damaged by having to drive you to the hospital).

hopfully not me nor anyone else

Thanks guys for your advice, I am typing with my two hands and want to keep them both attached to my forearm for long long time. Your posts are so clear that there is not the slightest room for doubt. After all cleaning is sort of a ritual and can be funny too.

If it is the cleaning that is a pain, then I suggest Windex.

Yes, I said windex. The common, everyday glass cleaner. It has ammonia as part of the solvent and cleans the gunpowder residue quite well.

If cleaning really is a problem for you (and I for one don't enjoy it much), some of the black powder substitutes at least claim to be very easy to clean. So you have options. But the people here are right; smokeless powder is never, ever one of them.

Back