Loading lever spring on 51 Navy/Colt?

Remington kid

For the past few day's my loading lever has been dropping down when I shoot. Not all the time but every now and then. Yesterday it did it 4 out of 6 shots.It latches so tight that I can't force it down and the spring in the latch feels plenty strong enough. Anyone have any idea whats causing this in my 51 Colt? Where's a good place to buy a new spring for the latch? Thanks, mike

VTI first and foremost. I had that problem initially with my Dragoon and did several things- deepended the notch, pinched the frame so that the lever was tighter (that alone worked with a 51 navy with that problem) and wouldn't tie up the works if it did kick out of engagement. The final fix came when I took the spring out and dropped a spent small pistol primer behind it to increase the tension.

Recoil seems to apply quite a bit of momentum to that part of the revolver.

Thanks Mec, It seems to me that I read about your spent cap idea somewhere else along the line. The slot where the lever fits in for the screw is a very loose fit.
I'll try your fixes today. Thanks for the info again, Mike

Another thing to look at is the slot in the keeper, you might want to lengthen it a little at the rear which will cause the keeper to engage deeper when you file the latch notch deeper. I did that on my '58 gunslinger when I was having recoil/latch problems.

Thanks Guy's for all the ideas and things to look for. Now if my wife doesn't hand me another "Honey Do" list I will be able to work on this today.
When the weather starts getting a little nicer out she gets a gleam in her eye and places a shovel and rake in my hands,Lol.

Steve, 300 grains is for the Uberti whimp revolvers, Piettas can take much more than that:D Sent you am email this morning, Mike

Back