Loading for 30-30 160 gr. Hornady ftx with leverevolution powder

Twohawks11

I’ve done a couple of searches and haven’t been able to get the information I am interested in.
Reading the tenth addition of The Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, it shows minimum loads of leverevolution powder of 27.7 grains up to max loads of 37 grains.
In the interest of saving powder and bullets I am hoping some of you fine people could help me with loads that have been successful for you using these bullets and this powder.
I am shooting a Winchester model 94 with a 20” barrel.
Any info and experiences you provide will be greatly appreciated.

wohawks11 said:
I’ve done a couple of searches and haven’t been able to get the information I am interested in.
Reading the tenth addition of The Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, it shows minimum loads of leverevolution powder of 27.7 grains up to max loads of 37 grains.
In the interest of saving powder and bullets I am hoping some of you fine people could help me with loads that have been successful for you using these bullets and this powder.
I am shooting a Winchester model 94 with a 20” barrel.
Any info and experiences you provide will be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to advise you not to load that specific Hornady 160 (or any) type of sharp tipped FTX projectile. The risk is potentially once the loaded rounds are fed into the tube it's "possible" that the bullet tip can impact the primer of the next forward round under recoil. When I load for my 30-30 Henry I only use cast RNFP's or a soft point. I've never actually seen nor read af an actual incident but in my mind this could actually happen.

I'm going to advise you not to load that specific Hornady 160 (or any) type of sharp tipped FTX projectile. The risk is potentially once the loaded rounds are fed into the tube it's "possible" that the bullet tip can impact the primer of the next forward round under recoil.

The Hornady FTX is designed specifically to use in tubular magazines. The tip is soft enough to not dent the primer. It is tested and safe for lever guns with tubular magazines.

Sorry I don't have any specific data. But you can load a couple rounds at each half grain increment and shoot them all at the same target. If there are a couple of load levels that group tight together, that would be a good place to start.

I have the model 94 win.also.Those bullets are safe to load and shoot in that gun.I use LVR powder and the ftx 160gr bullet.It gives the data on the bottle.Just be sure to reduce load by .10 to start.They shoot better than any bullet I've shot from the 30-30.You could always put one in chamber then one in mag.Hardly need more than two shots anyway.They shoot really good in my model 340 Stevens bolt action 30-30.

OK comments noted, I just went and read the box on my 200 gr FTX in .45 that I load for 460 S&W mag and it says this right on the box "flex tip safe for tube magazines" but it does seem that my .45 cal FTX's have a pretty hard tip.

but it does seem that my .45 cal FTX's have a pretty hard tip.
I was skeptical about them at first too. Take one of the bullets and push the tip into something hard, like a counter top. Check out the flex.

I appreciate the words of caution and all the other comments.
Thank you!
I have done my homework and read through several loading manuals in hard copy and online.
I mentioned the Hornady manual as it seemed most relevant as I guess the Hogdon’s would be as well.
Although, it is interesting the difference in data.
But, I don’t want to Segway onto other avenues of discussion and would like to continue with the intent of my original post which is experiences with loading these ftx bullets with this leverevolution powder.
Thank you again for your posts and I hope to see some more!

I've loaded the 160 FTX bullets with Lever Revolution in my Marlin XLR 30-30 with a factory 24 inch barrel and a Happy Trigger.
At the time, Marlin claimed that that model was made for use with the Hornady Flex tip bullets.

I got the best results with loads of 34.6 to 34.8 grains with O.A.L. of from 2.550 to 2.555.

When I bumped the loads to 35.0 to 35.3 grains, the accuracy dropped off by 35%.

I also loaded 140 gr GTX bullets with the same powder from 33.0 to 34.0 gr.
Not quite as accurate (20% larger groups on average).

My hand loads with Lever Revolution with both bullets were more accurate then the Hornady Lever Revolution factory ammo with the same bullets.

But both the 160 FTX and 140 GTX bullets were much more accurate with Lever Revolution powder than:
150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter # 2000 (125% larger groups on average.)
150 gr Hornady Interlock #3035) (101% larger groups on average)

I'm shooting these out of a model 340 Stevens bolt action. I tried factory loads in it and they weren't accurate at all.I may try different recipes later but after deer season.Sounds like you have found the sweet spot for yours.Happy New Year and have fun shooting.

I hope I didn’t offend anyone with my comments
It was not my intent.
And, I was not offended by anyone’s comments.
I’m not trying to be lazy and just “steal” from others or throw shirt together for the sake of “that’s what others do”.
I don’t post a lot as I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of individuals are here.
But, I do frequent this site everyday and gather as much information as I can before I make (somewhat) educated decisions. (Former educator here)

I feel that the experiences of others are very important to my search for knowledge on a specific topic as I can use that with the data and “rules of the game” to formulate my baseline.

Now, as I read these comments, which I truly do appreciate, I realize that there is a lot of variables involved (big surprise)
I failed to mention that I am looking for MOPP accuracy as I am shooting with peep sights.
(Minute Of Paper Plate)

I do have experience in reloading as I reload for my REM 700 chambered in 30-06.
And can shoot 3” groups at 300 yds with a five shot group, as I have actually done that (and that is the longest distance at my shooting range)

I had purchased a bunch of the Hornady FTX bullets and the leverevolution powder to start loading for my 94 after having shot the factory cartridge and liking the results.
(The gun shop owner who I bought the rifle from recommended them as he said that they shot well out of this particular rifle which his son previously owned)
Now that you can’t purchase any ammunition in my area and with the winter being here I felt that it was time to get some loads made and develop something that I can use for this rifle so that I can use it more this coming year.
There, that’s my story!
Again I hope I didn’t offend anyone

No offense taken on my part.We just talking shop. We all have different ways of doing things.We all learn from each other.The most important thing is to be safe and double check your work.Bottom line is that the hornady 160gr ftx bullet is the best in my opinion for the 30-30.Happy reloading and shooting.

I load two FTX bullets, but in ARs. A 250 in my 450 Bushmaster and a 135 in my 300 HAM'R. They both shoot into one hole. If Hornady engineers deemed it safe, then you can bank on them working in a Tube mag. They have to genuflect to the lawyers, too. You might also consider the 140 Monolith FTX - a no lead version.

hope I didn’t offend anyone with my comments
It was not my intent.
And, I was not offended by anyone’s comments.
No feelings hurt here. I had a boss that would ask our opinions. If we argued a bit about how to do something he smiled. When we finished a particularly in depth "discussion" about something he asked me how I felt about the outcome. I told him it was difficult to come to an agreement when we all had such different ideas about how to do something. He smiled the same grin he always got when we argued. He said "if we all had the same ideas and the same way to do everything, I wouldn't need anybody. A good team needs to look at all aspects of the issue". Reloading has a few different ways of doing the same thing. Some work better, some not so much. Depends on many factors. But it's worth discussing.

I've been seeing that 140gr mono ftx bullet and they are pricey .I buy sample packs of 12 to try different bullets but that paticular bullet they didn't show to have.
Happy shooting.

Back