Loading Buck and Ball?

Model12Win

Hello all!

I have a Pedersoli made Harpers Ferry percussion pistol coming in the mail. I am in the process of gathering supplies for shooting, and since this is a smoothbore, I would like to try some buck and ball loads for this pistol.

It is my understanding that these type military "horse" pistols were often loaded with buck and ball. My gun is a .54 caliber, and like I said it's not rifled and has a smoothbore.

I know how to load a patched round ball in a pistol or rifle, but am unsure as to the best way to load buck and ball in a handgun. I have tried researching this, but have gotten conflicting reports on the right way to do it.

I need to know:

What size buckshot should I use?
How many pellets?
How much of a powder charge to start with?
What loading materials do I need to load buck and ball (i.e. wads, cards, etc.)?

Thanks everyone! I am fairly new to muzzleloaders, so if you could all help me, that'd be great. Thanks again!

I'd start with 20 grains FF followed by a cork wad to hold the powder in place. Then one ball followed by three buckshot. As to the size, either #3 (0.25") or #4 buck (0.240") or whatever size allows for three buckshots. This would be topped by a cardboard wad (overshot wad) to keep the shot and ball in place.

Good project. After the smoke clears please come back and tell us all. I dance the dance of unbearable anticipation.

5thShock I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but please do expect a full page write up on this gun with a range review as soon as I can get it out and go shooting!!! :D

I would have thought that the PRB was used to hold the shot in place. Plus with the shot being lighter it would slow down quicker, which is think you'd want behind the larger projectile. What's the reasoning for putting them up front?

I've seen it both ways: ....Ball on bottom (Civil war cartridge); Ball on top (X-ray'd Brown Bess).

Note that in the CW cartridge -- regardless of how the cartridge was actually configured-- the
individual soldier could put the wrapped B&B assembly in either way after pouring the powder.

Oh, what's the best way to load it? LOL!

Still looking for some recommendations on the right size/type of wad to put over the buckshot, and also wondering if anyone knows of a source for #4 lead buckshot where I don't have to buy 5-8 lbs of the stuff!

I use a wine bottle cork for the over powder wad. Cut it into four equal lengths and trim to fit in the barrel. I use 1/4" Daisy slingshot ammo. I also use cotton balls as the final wad. Works great!

Okay, as far as the .310 round ball goes, aren't the pellets supposed to lay in a single layer over/under the ball for best accuracy? There is no way two, much less three .310 balls will layer properly in my .54 caliber gun.

Smokin Joe, this is not a shotgun. I am not sure if the steel shot will harm my barrel, and besides I don't want to use steel shot since it is lighter than lead and would have less penetration.

Do NOT put steel shot in your muzzleloader. Or much of anything else without the special tough plastic shotcups meant to protect the bore from even mild steel.

I don't know where to get small quantities of buckshot unless you buy shotgun shells at Cheapmart and cut them open.

W.W. Greener said to drive a wad into the choke of your shotgun and try different sizes of buckshot until you found the diameter that would layer.

Thanks, Jim.

I used this nifty online calculator:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html

For a .54 bore, it shows that three .24 caliber balls will stack properly in one layer, which is #4 buckshot.

I guess I'll have to buy a 5 lb box of the stuff, no big. Not expensive, I'll also shoot total buckshot loads too. Should be able to load 9 pellets or even 12, in 2-4 layers respecitvally.

Does anyone know what size fiber wad will work as an over shot wad? Will 28 gauge ones be too big? Thanks!

Easy enough to cast up buckshot from an inexpensive Lee .310 RB mold. If you are trying to stay "original" - then make your own paper wrapped cartridges. Base them on what was the traditional issued buck and ball paper cartridge - there should be lots of info out there on it. Newsprint would work well.

As far as steel shot in a barrel - I'm not a "modern shot gunner" but I thought that for shotgunning, it required a chromed barrel? I now a few folks who use bismuth shot in their front stuffers . . . . personally, I wouldn't be using "steel on steel" - unless the barrel is designed for it. YMMV

Aaaaahhhh. 54 (vice 69 or 75)
That's a horse of a different caliber. ;) :D

For a 54 cal, use #3(0.26") or #4(0.24")
(Although I have no clue what a rifled barrel
will do to Buck&Ball except scatter it to heck
& gone in very short order)

George Washington was a fan of buck and ball. The Irish Brigade favored it too, if they could form up in line close enough to you, they'd have you eating lead for your last meal. I'm still dancing.

model12win

I too would like to see the result of your experiment.

A couple of thoughts.....paper targets with shot patterns of one load with 3 balls on top of one ball....and another target showing the pattern with 3 balls on the bottom of one ball would be nice for comparison. (that may be what you intended to do anyway)

One other thing, I think you should keep the pressures in mind, which are changed by the total weight of the projectiles. Others here will know more about this from experience or where to find the data. I don't know if there would be data for that pistol, and what steel that one is made of. So I would investigate and go carefully before trying too many layers ( overall weight) of shot. You don't want to ruin your new pistol.....or hand.

I too would like to see the result of your experiment.

A couple of thoughts.....paper targets with shot patterns of one load with 3 balls on top of one ball....and another target showing the pattern with 3 balls on the bottom of one ball would be nice for comparison. (that may be what you intended to do anyway)

One other thing, I think you should keep the pressures in mind, which are changed by the total weight of the projectiles. Others here will know more about this from experience or where to find the data. I don't know if there would be data for that pistol, and what steel that one is made of. So I would investigate and go carefully before trying too many layers ( overall weight) of shot. You don't want to ruin your new pistol.....or hand.

Right indeed. I will be adding north of 60 grains of lead to the 230 grain round ball, so will be pushing close to 300 grains counting the wading and patching. I'll be using 2F powder since it is recommended by Pedersoli, and will be careful to not use too much powder.

Also, I will certainly test the patterning of the "over/under ball" buckshot stacking. I think I'm going to try some 28 gauge fiber wads and see if they fit down the bore properly. They might be too tight. I'll keep everyone informed of the progress, I can't wait to shoot this gun! :)

Back