Loading Bp Cartridges

Ummm, if everything fit perfectly... probably, but I don't really know. If the pellet were the exact size of the inside diameter of the case, and the bullet seated tight against the pellet, I don't see why not. Loose filler couldn't be used without a wad to keep it out of the hole in the pellet, and the pellet would have to be the exact size of the inside of the case so there was no dead space between pellet and case. I'd stick with loose, powdered pyrodex or black powder if it were me.

Yes, you can use the Pyrodex pellets.

I just looked through my latest Hodgdon Pyrodex load booklet. They show Pyrodex pellet data for .44 Remington Magnum, .44-40 WCF, .45 Long Colt, and .45-70 Government. I may try one of their .45-70 Government loads, it specifies 2 each of the 50/30 pellets behind a 405gr RNFP bullet, for 1270fps.

As I was reading further in the Pyrodex manual...

I keep looking at that .44 Magnum load. And I have a large supply of vintage, balloon-head .44 Special brass for my S&W Model 696. I've been having fun shooting blackpowder roundball loads in the stainless L-frame, maybe a Pyrodex pellet behind a 200gr cast bullet would get interesting! :D

Back