Loading 8mm Lebel with black powder

NavyLT

I am really not sure whether to put this in the black powder forum, the handloading forum, or here?!?

I have an 8mm Lebel Carbine MLE-16 rifle with the barrel marked "N" for the higher pressure rounds.

Does anyone know if I can load the 8mm Lebel round with black powder up to the neck of the case and then seat a bullet so that it is against the black powder and be safe?

So, you're taking a cartridge who's one claim to fame was being the first smokeless round and convert it to black powder. That's real retro :D

You always want a compressed load with black powder. If you don't want to use that much powder, make up the space with filler (cornmeal, cream of wheat, or wads).
As much powder as the case will hold and still let you seat the bullet, you don't want an air space in the cartridge.

Yep. I am just wondering if overpressure is going to be a problem if I fill the case up completely with black powder.

Just load with smokeless powder. A moderate load for .30-30 or .30-40 should work fine. As others have said, the cartridge and the rifle were designed for smokeless powder.

Jim

Back