Loading 7.62x39 in 7.62x54r

polska

Thanks to this crazy times we are living in, I find myself with 2000 rds of M67 7.62x39 and I no longer have any firearm chambered in this caliber. In the winter I usually just shoot my Nagants at steel plates.
The question I have has anyone just pulled powder and bullet from the 7,62x39 and loaded it into a 7.62x54r cases? I know the bullet is fine but can I use the same powder charge?

Looking through Hodgdon's data for the two using the same bullet weight (125 grains), you find the 7.62×54R powder charges are about twice the weight of the 7.62×39 charge weights. This means tossing the 7.62×39 charge into 7.62×54R case would achieve less than the 70% case fill under the bullet (aka, loading density) most commonly recommended as a minimum for rifle cartridge cases using rifle burn-rate powders. If you look at the old study of this done in the '60s by Dr. Lloyd Brownell, you see that pressures start to become erratic and, rarely, can be very high (he reported seeing double normal pressures a few times when getting below about 60% case fill, IIRC).

The bottom line is this is a potential hazard to do.

Some powders used in the smaller cartridge would be OK to increase in charge weight for the larger one, but I don't know anything about the powder used in these rounds. Hodgdon lists a range of powders for the 7.62×39, some of which would be unsafe to load up without having pressure measuring available, and others which would be fine to load up to the larger cartridges potential.

Yeah, thanks, I was thinking the same thing, but was wondering if any one had tried it. Probably gonna have to find someone willing to trade for 7.62x54 but in these times it hard.

Thanks to these crazy times we are living in, I'd recommend selling or trading 2,000 rnds of x39 for an attractive sale price, or offering them for trade, perhaps for 1,000 rnds of x54R or what ever you consider acceptable.

Yes, you could pull them down and use the bullets, but not the powder, and what do you have after? A couple thousand x39 cases (probably Berdan primed??) worth very little and really only scrap metal value. And, scrap dealers are kinda funny about primed brass...(as is, they won't touch it!)

Your best bet for value of that x39 ammo is, as ammo. Somewhere out there, there's someone who wants it, and they'll have $ or something to trade...

Good Luck!

Do you have any Factory 7.62 by 54 you can pull a bullet out of?

Thinking to compare the powders, size, shape and rough density with a scoop.

I have had a few powder label losses, I was pretty sure I knew what it was, measured the grains with a micrometer for lenght, diameter and color appearance was the same, did a cautious lower 5 lot test load and would stop if things wrong on the first one.

You should be able to pull and reuse the bullets and primers. The powder would be a loss IMHO. without knowing what it is fore sure I would NOT use it for anything else.

Depending on the brass you get it may be Berdan primed, making it... impractical to attempt to reload.

Personally, with 2000rnds, I would be looking for a rifle in 7.62x39.....

I had an AK47 and SKS and sold them as they were not for me, which is why I'm now stuck with this ammo. I was hoping to find an alternative but I guess there is not. Fortuneatly I bought it when it was cheap so I guess I won't get burnt too bad on it. Problem is no one wants to let go what they have at this moment and at my clubs nobody shoots this caliber.

They make ars in 7.62x39. There is the mini 30, and cz among others makes a bolt action in 7.62x39. You could always build a tc encore or contender single shot rifle or pistol.

7.62x39 should be pretty easy to sell. 2000 rounds can bring $1000, if not more. $120 can buy 1k primers. $40 buys you 1lb of powder. $40 for 100 bullets. 50 brass for $50.

Go on gun fora for your state. Buy, sell, trade, and even barter for components. That's how I keep going. It takes some patience and some driving.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, my first thought was to sell it, but nobody wants to give anything for it. Every gun shop has tons of this caliber,nobody wants it. The most I was offered was .20 a round, and this is for nice shiney brass ammo not the crappy steel cases stuff. That's why I was trying to use it or trade. I probably will just brake it down for the bullet and sell the brass for scrap.

Try selling it on wider market. The whole and state or even nationally, such as GunBroker. Even at 20 cents a round, you can still get $400, which can still buy something.

I buy and sell regularly on gun fora. TFL is nationwide, but its private buy and sell activities are pretty quiet. There are others that are pretty active.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

One thing I noticed in looking through Hodgdon's load data is some of the same powders are used in both rounds with 125-grain bullets, despite the case volume differences. This suggested to me that if you put 1½ 7.62×39 charges in the 7.62×54R cases with the same bullet at the same seating depth, you would get above minimum safe case fill and not likely have a pressure issue.

In QuickLOAD, I tried both faster (1680, H322, IMR4198) and slower powders (BL-C(2), and H4895) maximum loads from Hodgdon's list. In every instance, pressures were from about 4% lower to about 14% lower in the larger case with the 1.5X loads. Since the 7.62×54R is rated for about 10% higher pressure than the 7.62×39 is, this should give you at least 70% loading density and would be conservatively safe with pressure.

If you try this, you are doing it at your own risk. I can't guarantee the unknown powder you have in the commercial ammo will follow the pattern exactly. I can only say that it is improbable it will be grossly different. If you decide to try this and the load you have is done with a powder that has poor case fill in the smaller cartridge, watch out for the 1.5X load to fail to hit 70% fill of the space under the seated bullet in the 7.62×54R. Faster powders are not the best choice in the bigger cartridge, but it looks like you should get a plinking load out of the 1.5X combination. Don't expect great target performance and you could expect some significant velocity difference depending on whether the powder is forward over the bullet or backward over the primer.

If the powder is a spherical powder, you may want to use a magnum primer to try to maximize ignition and minimize velocity variation. You should also be prepared to see unburned powder fouling from the lower pressures. Such may indicate you need more than 1.5X, but you need to be good at reading pressure signs or own a Pressure Trace to pursue that safely. I don't believe your pressure will get down to levels that could stick a bullet in the barrel but understand there is also some percent risk of doing that with this approach.

If you decide to try this, be careful and good luck and please let us know how it goes. Remember this is all based on computer simulations and is not tested load data.

Yeah, my first thought was to sell it, but nobody wants to give anything for it. Every gun shop has tons of this caliber,nobody wants it. The most I was offered was .20 a round, and this is for nice shiney brass ammo not the crappy steel cases stuff. That's why I was trying to use it or trade. I probably will just brake it down for the bullet and sell the brass for scrap.

That is too weird. Do you live in the middle of SFO?

I just paid $450 for a thousand rounds of 7.62 x 39. The AK47 is a popular recreational gun up here as is the SKS. AR types outnumber them but 3 or 4 -1, but you see AK or SKS commonly

Last week we were shooting, one guy had an MN, I had the AK47, my brother an AK47 and SKS and another guy down the line had an AK47.

Sorry I can't make an offer, the haz shipment to AK is huge.

Now there's a thought. They're not expensive if you can find someone who makes one. $25 here for adapting 7.62×39 to the 308 or the 30-06. For the 7.62×54R you could turn one easily enough, but you'd probably need a special extractor, too, as the claw would need to reach about 0.055" further in.

Back