Load suggestions 124g gold dots in 9mm?

Shadow9mm

So Midway has 124g .355 Speer Gold Dots on sale for 20.42 per 100 here. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010888458?pid=675983

So I decided to invest in a good supply. I will have about 100 to work a load up with the rest will be loaded and stored. I ran through my manuals and GRT but wanted to see if anyone had some good loads they wanted to share.

these will be used in a
G19 4in barrel
p365 3.1in barrel

I currently have on hand
Power Pistol
CFE Pistol
HP-38/W231
AA #7

I will be throwing powder so something that meters well would be nice
I also would prefer a low flash powder, which pretty much rules out power pistol.

I am leaning towards CFE Pistol with speer's start of 4.7 and max of 5.3

I was considering getting some AA #5 to try. but not sure how it meters or its flash characteristics.

I ran through my manuals and GRT but wanted to see if anyone had some good loads they wanted to share.

I will be working everything up from start, but again, I only have 100 to play with.

Goal is the stated 1150fps of factory ammo

Last edited:
Alliant, having the same parent company, has data for the Speer Gold Dots with their powders. They say, seated to 1.12" COL, the maximum load of Power Pistol behind the 124-grain GD is 6.4 grains, so your starting load could be as low as about 5.5 grains, following old advice from Western to begin handgun loads at 85% of maximum rather than the 90% number they used for rifle cartridges. Hodgdon has #7 data for that bullet running from 6.3 to 7.4 grains. They seat it to 1.105", so 0.015" shorter than Alliant did. I don't know why. I am not finding 231/HP38 or CFE Pistol data for the GD on Hodgdon. I note that, though at a shorter COL, the maximum load they give for the 124-grain XTP for #7 is the same 7.4-grains as for the GD, and the 231/HP38 load they give for the XTP is 3.7- 4.2 grains and the CFE Pistol load for the XTP is 4.5 to 5.1 grains. Since the maximum #7 loads were the same for the two bullets, the other two load ranges are not likely to be too far different. Just work up watching for pressure signs. I would reduce the starting loads for the last two by another tenth of a grain, but maybe that's just me. YMMV.

If you have #7 then your search is probably over. I'm pretty sure it is flash suppressed and it is a really good powder for 9mm. It's for sure not gonna have the blast report that Power Pistol has,and it loads very well from light to heavy. Also meters very consistently. #5 is ok but #7 I think will serve you nicely. I'M on about my sixth 8 lb jug of #7 and it gets used about 100 to 1 over my stash of #5 and HP38 and CFE Pistol.

As far as load suggestions rather than me tell you what works in my guns I'll point you toward the Western Powder load data that list #7 and your 124 Gold dot to almost 1200 fps.

As far as load suggestions rather than me tell you what works in my guns I'll point you toward the Western Powder load data that list #7 and your 124 Gold dot to almost 1200 fps.

I looked at western, not sure where your seeing 1200
Western 4in barrel #7, COL 1.105

Standard pressure
Start 6.3 944fps
max 7.4 max 1090fps

+P
Start 7.4 fps 1091
max 7.9 1153fps

My speer manual has data as well, a bit higher for #7
4in barrel, COL 1.120
start 8.1 1077
max 9.0 1180

For speer it also has the following for reference

CFE Pistol
start 4.7 1024
max 5.3 1127

Power Pistol
start 5.6 1033
max 6.4 1157

HP-38
start 4.0 887
max 4.5 988

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I ran the sierra #7 load in GRT just for fun
9.0 max 45,899 PSI, no good
8.1, 31,29psi

per GRT

#7, max 8.3 at 34022 at 1198fps

CFE Pistol, max 5.8 at 34605 and 1179fps

Power Pistol, max 6.3g, 33741psi and 1209fps

HP-38 at 4.7g, 33977psi, 1118fps

If someone could run the speer data for the #7 in quickload, to cross reference, I would appreciate it. start 8.1, max 9.1 seems excessively high.

Last edited:
Power Pistol

I managed to score 500 124gn GDHP's some years back and did a load work up with them using Power Pistol - my go-to propellant for many high performance handgun applications (save full throttle magnum revolver).

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I believe the following data is consistent with the Speer #15 (The manual is packed away, so I don't have access to it.). In any case, use this information as my experience only. It is not load advice. Please safely do your own work ups.

My attempt was to emulate, not "duplicate" Speer's 124 grain "+P" offering. Which, happens to be my conceal carry ammo when carrying a 9mm. All chronograph data were 10 round samples. My loads used CCI 500 primers and Winchester White Box brass.

Speer's factory +P chrono data 1.122" OAL:
1158 f/s through a Kahr CW9 3.6" (I think) bbl.
1221 f/s through a Beretta 92fs 4.9" (I think) bbl.

My loads (1.118" OAL - my attempt at the factory 1.122"):

Through the 92fs:
6.0gn - 1195 f/s SD = 16.58
6.2gn - 1213 f/s SD = 8.24 (then a 20 round sample = 1212 f/s, SD = 13.10)
6.4gn - 1245 f/s SD = 16.30

I decided 6.2 grains to be my set charge weight. I then loaded a batch of "regular production" (meaning charged via hopper, not individually weighed) ammo at this charge weight and retested:

Through the 92f/s - 1221 f/s SD = 9.84
Through the CW9 - 1133 f/s SD = 19.12

So that's the path I took once I finally got ahold of some 124 GDHP's. This was July 2017, btw. I am pleased.

Am using AA-7 for 9mm "vermin" 124 and 147 9mm loads. For the loads previously tested, AA7 preferred the Fed spm over the sp primer for accuracy. While the loads being used are for xtp's, Speer gold dots may be seated out slightly longer.

7.8 gns AA-7, 124 xtp, Fed 200 primer, 1.113 col for about 1180 fps from BHP. Am not needing a load any faster than this, and the xtp is seated slightly shorter so it can be used in a cz-75 compact with short throating. Am considering this a plus p velocity load, and it may slightly exceed some factory recommendation some wheres.

Just a thought: the gold dot doesn't need to be driven very hard to make pretty mushrooms. And you aren't going to get grizzly-stopping penetration regardless the velocity. So I would load it for a comfortable velocity and not worry about squeezing every last fps out of the load data.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm
I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel that 1150fps is a reasonable ask and a comfortable velocity range. I'm not asking for speer +p 1204fps at or underwood +P+ at 1298fps velocities, just to duplicate the standard pressure factory loading velocities with a powder that has minimal muzzle flash.

Hello.

5.4 grains of N330 at OAL of 1.130 to 1.120 is about as accurate and consistent load you can get with GD I think.
e674eb25-5420-4672-8205-74b270f94030

The only load suggestion i'll give on an open forum is thus.

Don't forget to put powder in the cartridge. As the primer may not be enough to get the bullet out of the barrel.

Don't ask how i know... :rolleyes:

I have had great results with CFE Pistol in 9mm. It seems to work well with all bullet weights. I shot some 115 grain gold dots last year from my G43x and G17. Using the same powder charge I use with all the other bullets of that weight, results were basically the same. I am sure the 124 grain projectiles will behave in the same way. Power pistol was good too, but very hard to get around these parts.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel that 1150fps is a reasonable ask and a comfortable velocity range. I'm not asking for speer +p 1204fps at or underwood +P+ at 1298fps velocities, just to duplicate the standard pressure factory loading velocities with a powder that has minimal muzzle flash.
That is why I included the link to denim/gel test data - the bullet expands nicely at 1067fps. And it starts to under-penetrate as it is driven faster.

That is why I included the link to denim/gel test data - the bullet expands nicely at 1067fps. And it starts to under penetrate as it is driven faster.
Based on what I am seeing the +p had a median penetration of 16in. Which I consider to be ideal, vs the standard at 18, but with 2 over.

One thing I have always liked about AA 2 -9 powders is they meter great. They aren't always the end all for everything but they cover a LOT of territory.

While piddling around with loads for my 9's I found that a mid range load if #7 under several makes of the 124gr JHP delivered excellent accuracy and very close SD's if that makes a difference.

I tried almost everything you have listed, the CFE while producing decent results showed to get pretty spunky as it moved up in charge weight. The 231 was good for say target type loads. My good friend tried the PP and while it seemed on par with the data it seemed to have a tendency of flashing. Can't say it terrible bit something I wasn't really looking for.

There are +p loads listed for #7 that will get you in the ballpark of range your looking for. Personally I like about 1000fps or 1050'ish and good accuracy.

So I ran my test loads today, warning due to using small rifle primers.

CFE Pistol
blazer brass
Federal small rifle primers
124g Speer gold dots
COL 1.120
Speer max 5.3g CFE Pistol, 4in barrel G19
listed velocity 1127fps from a 4in barrel

Actual, 9rnds, charges thrown.
Avg 1059
SD 23.5
ES 76

Speer max 5.3g CFE Pistol, 4in barrel G19
listed velocity 1127fps from a 4in barrel

Actual, 9rnds, charges thrown.
Avg 1059
SD 23.5
ES 76

So that's the other thing, "listed" - vs - "actual". My two 9's sre the same brand name but have different length barrels 3"vs 4" so I figure go with what shoots best. With a Gold Dot, if you can break 1000fps and put them in s tight group they will deliver. I've been loading them, for hunting and other loads, since Speer brought them out in half a dozen calibers and haven't been disappointed yet.

Back