Load Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJT1961

Inactive
I was recently given a S&W Model 916A 12 gauge pump shotgun with a 3 inch chamber (previously owned but in never-fired mint condition)that I would like to use for home defense. I own many rifles, pistols and revolvers, but never owned a shotgun before and know nothing whatsoever about them -- and I mean nothing. For example, can I use a 2 3/4" shell, or are there 3" shells I am supposed to use. Also, what kind of load should I use. I'm not overly concerned with a big spread as I am confident that I'll hit what I aim at, but I also don't want anything that has too much penetration as to go through my kids bedroom walls. I still want decent stopping power though. Any thoughts, insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Anthony.

Hi Anthony, welcome!

There is a search feature in the upper right hand corner of your screen. This topic is one of the more popular ones, so you should have, oh, eight or ten hours of reading.. :)

With a 3 inch chamber you can use either 2 3/4 or 3 inch loads.

My suggestion is to go to a local "mart" and get several boxes of the cheapest bird loads available and shoot them. Being familier with your shotgun is the first step.

For HD, (caveat - I don't know your exacts) I would get a box of # 6s or #4s. Use half the box to check your patterns and point of aim/point of impact. Keep the other half for social purposes.

Lots and lots of bandwidth on this subject.

Giz

This is possibly the most FAQ,Anthony. Lots of info in the archives.

Caution, shotguns can be as addicting as cocaine,. just not as health threatening(G).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back